S & J Nursery’s Colocasia
( Speckled Elephant Ear ‘ Mojito)
Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear Origins:
– This is a new introduction to S & J Nursery, as more people are looking
for an easy to maintain landscape with a tropical feel, Colocasia are increasing in popularity. With so many
choices of color, texture and size to choose from., there is sure to be an elephant ear plant that is just right
for your Northeast Florida garden.
– Colocasia esculenta Mojito been bred for its beautiful contrasting
color, the speckled foliage of Colocasia esculenta Mojito adds an instant tropical effect to the landscape and
is the perfect plant selection for the pool side or patio where the striking foliage can be admired up
Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear Preferred
– Plant Colocasia in a full sun to shade in the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant
Ear does well in full sun as long as it is planted into a moist site or submerged as a
garden pond plant. If your garden is extremely sandy and dry consider planting it in a location that will
receive some relief from North Florida’s hot sun.
Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant
– Stunning upright foliage is an beautiful speckled bright green and purple
that is matched with its unusually striped stems. Adds great color and texture to the North Florida
Jacksonville and St. Augustine Florida garden.
– Foliage may remain evergreen during the winter in our North Florida
area gardens, but can go dormant and come back up the following spring depending on winter conditions and
– Colocasia plants are considered an evergreen perennial tuberous
Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear Soil Preference / Salt
– Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear is tolerant of a
wide range of soil components and growing conditions, although they will be most at home with adequate
– Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear will tolerate wet
soils for prolonged periods and can be planted into poorly draining garden sites in our North Florida
– Can be planted into pots and submerged as pond plants for water
– Salt tolerance unknown.
Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear plant
will reach 4 -5 ft high and 2-3 ft wide.
Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping perennial herb forms an attractive, upright mound
of tropical looking foliage.
Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear Growth Rate:
– Fast, particularly in the rainy and hot summer months.
Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear Water Requirements:
– Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is
necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J
Nursery container. Use supplemental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Best Uses For Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear in the
Jacksonville | St. Augustine Area Landscapes :
– Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear is a great easy care low
maintenance addition to just about any landscape. Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant
Ear plants will blend perfectly into traditional formal landscapes or tropical
gardens. Colocasia also are right at home in the middle of a perennial bed and blend beautifully into any
Cottage garden setting.
– Colocasia make an excellent potted plant accent for the pool or
– Excellent pond side planting, in ground or in a container..
– Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimens for added
attraction to any landscape setting, near a seating wall, water feature, bird bath or park bench, etc.
Care of Colocasia Esculenta Mojito Speckled Elephant Ear :
– Low care landscape pant selection.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
– Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment period
and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into
– As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting
your Colocasia plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general
purpose plant food or 10-10-10.