S & J Nursery’s Guide to Growing
Colocasia Maui Gold
in the Norhtheast Florida Landscape
( Colocasia Esculenta ‘Maui Gold’)
Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Origins:
– Planting these well behaved modern cultivars of Colocasia that fit perfectly
into todays gardens will add bold tropical foliage for eye catching potted displays, water gardens or
traditional garden settings and mixed perennial borders.
– Colocasia esculenta Maui Gold has bright chartreuse foliage on ivory colored stems. This pretty colocasia takes the sun and handles the heat.
Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Preferred Exposure:
– Elephant Ears in a partial sun to shade in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ handles the full sun and Florida heat without stress.
– If your garden is extremely sandy and dry consider planting it in a location that will receive some relief from North Florida’s hot sun.
Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Foliage:
– Colocasia Maui Gold has bright chartreuse foliage held on ivory stems.
– Foliage may remain evergreen during the winter in our North Florida area gardens, but can go dormant and come back up the following spring depending on winter conditions and exposure.
– They are considered an evergreen perennial tuberous herb.
Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Elephant Ear Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ elephant ear plants are tolerant of a wide range of soil components and growing conditions, although they will be most at home with adequate moisture.
– Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ elephant ear plants will tolerate wet soils for
prolonged periods and can be planted into poorly draining garden sites in our North Florida landscapes.
– Can be planted into pots and submerged as pond plants for water gardens.
– Salt tolerance unknown.
Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Elephant Ear Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Colocasia ‘Hawaiian Eye’ plant will reach 3-4 ft high and 2-3 ft wide.
Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Elephant Ear Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping perennial herb forms an attractive, upright mound of tropical foliage.
Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Elephant Ear Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Colocasia Royal Hawaiian selection.
Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Elephant Ear Bloom:
– Huge blooms of Colocasia Esculenta are similar in appearance to Calla Lilies and are rarely seen even on well established plant and area a stunning creamy white.
Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Elephant Ear Water Requirements:
– Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J Nursery container. Use supplimental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Best Uses For Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Elephant Ear in the Jacksonville | St.
Augustine Area Landscapes :
– Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Elephant Ear is a great easy care low maintenance addition to just about any landscape. Maui Gold Elephant Ear plants will blend perfectly into traditional formal landscapes or tropical gardens. Colocasia also are right at home in the middle of a perennial bed and blend
beautifully into any Cottage garden setting.
– Colocasia make an excellent potted plant accent for the pool or patio
– Excellent pond side planting, in ground or containered.
– Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimens for added
attraction to any landscape setting, near a seating wall, water feature, bird bath or park bench, etc.
Care of Colocasia ‘Maui Gold’ Elephant Ear :
– Low care landscape pant selection.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
– Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into sandy soils.
– As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting your Colocasia plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.