Stokesia Klaus Jelitto / Stokes Aster
in the Northeast
Jacksonville / St.Augustine Florida
( Stokesia laevis Klaus Jelitto )
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Pink Preferred Exposure:
– Stokes Asters will prefer a full sun or lightly shaded exposure in the North
Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area landscape.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Foliage:
– Compact mounds of deep dark green leathery tufts o foliage remain evergreen in our North Florida gardens.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– While not particular of soil components, Stokesia Klaus Jelitto will need good drainage and will thrive in any well drained soil.
– Salt tolerance unknown
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Size Variance:
– Stokesia Klaus Jelitto stays low and only reaches 12-23 inches tall even with the flowering stalks rising high above the foliage. Klaus Jelitto will form a clump of foliage 12-18 inches wide.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive compact mound of foliage.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Growth Rate:
-Stokesia is a moderate grower and can be expected to almost reach its full size within the second or third season after planting from a nursery container.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Bloom:
– Stokesia Laevis Klaus Jelitto has a strikingly large blooms for such a compact little plant. Clusters of 2-3 inch wide blue blossoms are held upright on thick stems above the foliage of the plant in summer and into fall in the North Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area garden.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Water Requirements:
– Water daily for 2-3 weeks after planting and weekly during hot dry summers for established plants.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Stokes Asters in bloom bring loads of butterflies to the garden.
Best Uses For Stokesia Laevis Klaus Jelitto in the North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area garden:
– Stokesia is an excellent perennial selection for the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. Low maintenance, compact form and lots of color make it a garden staple that
everyone should find a place for in the garden.
– Plant in masses around a bird bath or other accent for a beautiful and graceful display of blooms.
– Plant along the edge of a walkway or path for an added pop of color to lead you on your way.
– Excellent front of the border planting for an instant cottage garden feel.
Care of Stokesia Klaus Jelitto in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
– Dig and divide plant every few years for best results.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container. And at least weekly during hot dry summer months.
– Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year to maintain plants tidy appearance.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or