S & J Nursery Daylily Yangtze
for Northeast Florida Gardens
( Hemerocallis ‘Yangtze’ )
Yangtze Daylily Preferred Exposure:
– Full sun to light shade or morning shade with afternoon sun
Yangtze Daylily Foliage:
– Evergreen compact foliage stays full and lush through the year making it an ideal daylily selection for home landscapes as well as commercial plantings.
Yangtze Daylily Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Yangtze Daylily’s will prefer dry, well drained soils with high organic matter content so remember to add some compost or manure to the planting hole when you first install your daylily and a handful or so of compost each year will keep daylily’s foliage and blooms looking great
Yangtze Daylily Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Yangtze Daylily will reach 18 inches high and wide with the flower stalks rising to just above the foliage at about 22 inches high.
Yangtze Daylily Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping grass like perennial forms an attractive mound of foliage.
Yangtze Daylily Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Daylily cultivar.
Yangtze Daylily Bloom:
– Although the foliage of these daylily’s tend to impress me with their persistent greenery in the garden, the blooms on the Yangtze Daylily will steal the show from early summer well into fall.
Long blooming variety has lemon yellow blooms in abundance during the season, each one lasting just a day with another one waiting to take its place.
Yangtze Daylily Water Requirements:
– Drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Yangtze Daylily blooms will attract hummingbirds and butterfly’s to your garden to feed on the nectar produced by the flowers.
Best Uses For Yangtze Daylily’s:
– I love to see these Daylily in masses of 7 or more plants, they are unbelievably beautiful when in bloom and a great garden filler when not.
– Try Yangtze in a decorative pot on a porch or patio for a low maintenance pop of color during the summer months near a patio or pool area where they can be enjoyed.
Care of Yangtze Daylily:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
-They will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers.
– Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.