Bamboo Muhley Grass Origins:
– These ‘Florida Friendly’ landscape plants are native to Northern Mexico and some
areas of the southwestern United States.
– They are an ideal landscape plant for low maintenance, low water, low trim
-A personal favorite of mine, Bamboo Muhley makes a great potted accent plant for
pool sides and patios where they pick up even the slightest hint of a breeze and make your garden come
Bamboo Muhley Grass Preferred Exposure:
– Bamboo Muhley Grass will prefer a full sun location in the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape, but will tolerates some shade rather well.
Bamboo Muhley Grass Foliage:
– Thick woody stems give way to delicate feathery light to medium green foliage that
tends to cascade over on itself giving it a graceful appearance.
– The thick woody stems and thin delicate foliage make it very similar in
appearance to bamboo giving it its common name.
– Evergreen foliage has a upright then gently cascading clump forming habit.
-Although winter hardy these plants may look best when trimmed to the ground in
the winter to allow new foliage to emerge for the season. ( I never have bothered to try doing this as mine are
always so pretty even after winter I cant bring myself to trim them, maybe this year… )
Bamboo Muhley Grass Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Bamboo Muhley Grass/ Muhlenbergia Dumosa will tolerate a wide range of soil
components as well as moisture conditions including both well drained sandy dunes and flood prone areas.
– Salt tolerance is unknown, have it successfully growing at seaside, let us
Bamboo Muhley Grass Size Variance:
– Muhlenbergia Dumosa can be expected to reach 3-6 ft in height width.
Bamboo Muhley Grass Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, upright, clumping habit of Muhlenbregia Dumosa forms an attractive
dense mound of fine textured foliage.
Bamboo Muhley Grass Growth Rate:
– Muhley grass is a fairly fast grower, expect them to double their size in the
first year after being planted.
Bamboo Muhley Grass Bloom:
– Muhlenbergia Dumosa has an inconspicuous spring bloom and is
strictly planted for its year round highly ornamental foliage.
Muhlenbergia Dumosa Water Requirements:
– Low water needs make Bamboo Muhley Grass ideal for Xeroscapes plantings.
– Muhlenbergia Dumosa plants will require supplemental irrigation after being
planted in the ground from the S & J Nursery container but will survive on their own with little help after
establishing itself into the landscape.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Bamboo Muhley Grass is not touted as a butterfly or bird attracting plant. .
Best Uses For Bamboo Muhley Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
– Muhley Grasses an excellent evergreen selection for the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
– Low maintenance landscape selection.
– Plant in masses around a bird bath, palm, or other accent for a little added color
and texture in the garden.
– Bamboo Muhley Grass makes a great stand alone potted accent plant for patios and
Care of Bamboo Muhley Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
-When planted in residential settings where they will be viewed at a closer range,
these plants may look best when trimmed to the ground in late winter to allow new foliage to emerge for the
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or