S & J Nurserys Guide to Growing
Bamboo Muhly Grass
in the Northeast Florida Jacksonvivlle | St. Augustine area Landscape
Bamboo Muhly Grass Origins:
– These ‘Florida Friendly’ landscape plants are native to Northern Mexico and some areas of the southwestern United States.
– They are an ideal landscape plant for low maintenance, low water, low trim landscaping.
-A personal favorite of mine, Bamboo Muhly makes a great potted accent plant for pool sides and patios where they pick up even the slightest hint of a breeze and make your garden come alive.
Bamboo Muhly Grass Preferred Exposure:
– Bamboo Muhly Grass will prefer a full sun location in the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape, but will tolerates some shade rather well.
Bamboo Muhly Grass Foliage:
– Thick woody stems give way to delicate feathery light to medium green foliage that tends to cascade over on itself giving it a graceful appearance.
– The thick woody stems and thin delicate foliage make it very similar in
appearance to bamboo giving it its common name.
– Evergreen foliage has a upright then gently cascading clump forming habit.
-Although winter hardy these plants may look best when trimmed to the ground in the winter to allow new foliage to emerge for the season. ( I never have bothered to try doing this as mine are always so pretty even after winter I cant bring myself to trim them, maybe this year… )
Bamboo Muhly Grass Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Bamboo Muhly Grass/ Muhlenbergia Dumosa will tolerate a wide range of soil components as well as moisture conditions including both well drained sandy dunes and flood prone areas.
– Salt tolerance is unknown, have it successfully growing at seaside, let us
Bamboo Muhly Grass Size Variance:
– Muhlenbergia Dumosa can be expected to reach 3-6 ft in height width.
Bamboo Muhly Grass Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, upright, clumping habit of Muhlenbregia Dumosa forms an attractive dense mound of fine textured foliage.
Bamboo Muhley Grass Growth Rate:
– Muhly grass is a fairly fast grower, expect them to double their size in the
first year after being planted.
Bamboo Muhley Grass Bloom:
– Muhlenbergia Dumosa has an inconspicuous spring bloom and is
strictly planted for its year round highly ornamental foliage.
Muhlenbergia Dumosa Water Requirements:
– Low water needs make Bamboo Muhly Grass ideal for Xeroscapes plantings.
– Muhlenbergia Dumosa plants will require supplemental irrigation after being planted in the ground from the S & J Nursery container but will survive on their own with little help after establishing itself into the landscape.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Bamboo Muhly Grass is not touted as a butterfly or bird attracting plant. .
Best Uses For Bamboo Muhly Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
– Muhly Grasses an excellent evergreen selection for the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
– Low maintenance landscape selection.
– Plant in masses around a bird bath, palm, or other accent for a little added color and texture in the garden.
– Bamboo Muhly Grass makes a great stand alone potted accent plant for patios and poolsides.
Care of Bamboo Muhly Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
-When planted in residential settings where they will be viewed at a closer range, these plants may look best when trimmed to the ground in late winter to allow new foliage to emerge for the season.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or