Stokesia White Surprise / Stokes Aster
in the Northeast Florida Landscape
( Stokesia laevis White Surprise )
Stokesia White Surprise Exposure:
– Stokes Asters will prefer a full sun or lightly shaded exposure in the North Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area landscape.
Stokesia White Surprise Foliage:
– Compact mounds of deep dark green leathery tufts o foliage remain evergreen in our North Florida gardens.
Stokesia White Surprise Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– While not particular of soil components, Stokesia White Surprise will need good drainage and will thrive in any well drained soil.
– Salt tolerance unknown.
Stokesia White Surprise Size Variance:
– Stokesia Klaus Jelitto stays low and only reaches 12-18 inches tall even with the flowering stalks rising high above the foliage. White Surprise will form a clump of foliage 18 inches wide.
Stokesia White Surprise Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive compact mound of foliage.
Stokesia White Surprise Growth Rate:
– Stokesia is a moderate grower and can be expected to almost reach its full size within the second or third season after planting from a nursery container.
Stokesia White Surprise Bloom:
– Hard to find Stokesia Laevis White Surprise has strikingly large blooms for such a compact little plant. Clusters of 2-4 inch wide white blossoms are held upright on thick stems above the foliage of the plant in summer and into fall in the North Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area garden.
Stokesia White surprise Water Requirements:
– Water daily for 2-3 weeks after planting and weekly during hot dry summers for established plants.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Stokes Asters in bloom bring loads of butterflies to the garden.
Best Uses For Stokesia Laevis White Surprise in the North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area garden:
– Stokesia is an excellent perennial selection for the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. Low maintenance, compact form and lots of color make it a garden staple that everyone should find a place for in the garden. Its one of my personal favorites and I know you will love it to!
– Plant in masses around a bird bath or other accent for a low maintenance yet beautiful display of blooms.
– Plant along the edge of a walkway or path for an added pop of color to lead you on your way.
– Excellent front of the border planting for an instant cottage garden feel.
Care of Stokesia White Surprise in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
– Dig and divide plant every few years for best results.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container. And at least weekly during hot dry summer months.
– Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year to maintain plants tidy appearance.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.