S & J Nursery’s Guide to Growing
Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear Plants
for the Northeast Florida Jacksonville | St. Augustine Florida Landscape
( Alocasia ‘Portora’ )
Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear Origins:
-Truly an architectural specimen for the landscape setting, Alocasia Portora
Elephant Ear plant holds its sculpted foliage in an upright gently arching form that shows beautifully in any garden setting.
– Alocasia Portora is a Hybrid between Alocasia ordora and Alocasia portei
bred by Lari Ann Garner of the Aroidia Research facility.
Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear Preferred Exposure:
– Plant these large specimen Elephant Ear plants in a full sun
to full shade garden location in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear Foliage:
– Stunning foliage is held upright on thick stalks in a circular whirl of
decorative sculpted foliage. Really a very stunning garden specimen that could be utilized more in our North Florida area gardens.
– These plants are cold hardy well above our semitropical climate zones
in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landcsape. ( Hardy to zone 7B) and make a reliable garden perennial planting.
Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant ear plants are a bit particular about the
soil they need to thrive and will prefer moist soils rich with organic materials, amend with compost / humus when planting for best results.
– Salt tolerance unknown.
Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Alocasia Portora plant will reach 5-6 ft high
and 5 ft wide.
Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear Growth Habit:
– Clumping perennial forms an attractive, upright mound of tropical
Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear Growth Rate:
– Fast growing
Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear Water Requirements:
– Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J Nursery container. Use supplimental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Best Uses For Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear in the Jacksonville | St. Augustine Area Landscapes :
– Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear is a great easy care low maintenance addition to just about any landscape. Alocasia Portora Elephant Ear plants will blend perfectly into traditional formal landscapes or tropical gardens. Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear also are right at home
in the middle of a perennial bed and blend beautifully into any Cottage garden setting.
– Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear make an excellent potted plant accent
for the pool or patio area.
– Excellent pond side planting, in ground or containered.
– Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimens for added
attraction to any landscape setting, near a seating wall, water feature, bird bath or park bench, etc.
Care of Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear :
– Low care landscape pant selection.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
– Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment period
and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into
– As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting your Alocasia ‘Portora’ Elephant Ear plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.