S & J Nursery’s Guide to Growing
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian
for the Jacksonville | St. Augustine North Florida Landscape
( Colocasia ‘Hilo Bay’ )
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ Origins:
– These modern versions of the tropical Asian Elephant Ears are every bit as beautiful as their rampantly naturalizing predecessors but with ought all the headache to keep them in bounds in the garden.
– Planting these well behaved modern cultivars of Colocasia that fit perfectly into todays gardens will add bold tropical foliage for eye catching potted displays, water gardens or traditional garden settings and mixed perennial borders.
– Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ is a recent introduction from the “Royal Hawaiian Series” of Elephant Ear plants bred with disease resistant foliage and nice tidy clumping habits.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ Preferred Exposure:
– Plant Colocasia in a partial sun to shade in the North Florida | Jacksonville |St. Augustine area landscape. Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ does well in full sun as long as it is planted into a moist site or submerged as a garden pond plant. If your garden is extremely sandy and dry consider
planting it in a location that will receive some relief from North Florida’s hot sun.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ Foliage:
– Stunning foliage of large, thick, glossy, heart shaped leaves with an olive green color add dramatic bold foliage to the garden. Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ has a crinkled or heavily textured foliage with slightly upturned edges that can grow up to 20 inches in length and has a deep dark purple stem to add interest especially when planting in an above ground container where stalks will be more visible.
– Foliage may remain evergreen during the winter in our North Florida area gardens, but can go dormant and come back up the following spring depending on winter conditions and exposure.
– They are considered an evergreen perennial tuberous herb.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ is tolerant of a wide range of soil components and growing conditions, although they will be most at home with adequate moisture.
– Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ will tolerate wet soils for prolonged
periods and can be planted into poorly draining garden sites in our North Florida landscapes.
– Can be planted into pots and submerged as pond plants for water gardens.
– Salt tolerance unknown.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ plant will reach 4 ft high and 2-3 ft wide.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping perennial herb forms an attractive, upright mound of tropical foliage.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Colocasia Royal Hawaiian selection.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ Bloom:
– Huge blooms of Colocasia Esculenta are similar in appearance to Calla Lilies and are rarely seen even on well established plant and are a stunning creamy white.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ Water Requirements:
– Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J Nursery container. Use supplimental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Best Uses For Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ in the Jacksonville | St. Augustine Area Landscapes :
– Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’ is a great easy care low maintenance addition to just about any landscape. Hilo Bay Elephant Ear plants will blend perfectly into traditional formal landscapes or tropical gardens. Colocasia also are right at home in the middle of a perennial bed and blend
beautifully into any Cottage garden setting.
– Colocasia make an excellent potted plant accent for the pool or patio
– Excellent pond side planting, in ground or containered.
– Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimens for added
attraction to any landscape setting, near a seating wall, water feature, bird bath or park bench, etc.
Care of Colocasia Royal Hawaiian ‘Hilo Bay’:
– Low care landscape pant selection.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
– Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into sandy soils.
– As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting your Colocasia plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.