NON INVASIVE Ruellia
Purple Showers Mexican Petunia
( Ruellia “Purple Showers” )
Check out this link from the University of Florida and educate yourself on the greatness of this Non Invasive (Sterile) Ruellia cultivar!!!….Purple Showers
Ruellia Purple Showers Preferred Exposure:
– Full sun to partial shade
Ruellia Purple Showers Foliage:
– Purple Showers has wider blades than wild Ruellia that helps distinguish it from other less well behaved varieties.
Ruellia Purple Showers Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Ruellia Purple Showers will thrive in most any soil from heavy hard packed clay with poor drainage to sandy always dry sites.
Ruellia Purple Showers Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Ruellia Purple Showers will reach 3-4 feet high and wide.
Ruellia Purple Showers Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping perennial forms an attractive mound of foliage.
Ruellia Purple Showers Growth Rate:
– Fast growing to 3 ft within its first to second season after being planted in the landscape..
Ruellia Purple Showers Bloom:
– Bright Purple blooms almost always on the plant in spring summer and fall!
Ruellia Purple Showers Water Requirements:
– Drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Ruellia Purple showers attracts a host of butterflies to the North Florid garden!
Best Uses For Ruellia Purple Showers:
– Beautiful when planted alone as an accent or massed around an ornamental tree or Island Bed in the center of the Landscape. These plants really offer allot of color with minimal care!
– Try Ruellia Purple Showers in a decorative pot on a porch or patio for a low maintenance pop of color during the summer months near a patio or pool area where they can be enjoyed.
Care of Ruellia Purple Showers:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
-Trim back any winter or cold damage each spring by trimming the plant down to 12-14 inches above ground level. These plants will regrow quickly and reward your efforts with an abundance of blooms.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.