S & J Nursery’s Guide to
Heirloom Daylily Hyperion
for Northeast Florida Gardens
( Hemerocallis ‘Hyperion’ )
Heirloom Daylily Hyperion Preferred Exposure:
– full sun to light shade
Heirloom Daylily Hyperion Foliage:
– Robust foliage of the Hyperion Daylily makes a clump three feet high and wide
. – Winter Dormant ( deciduous)
Heirloom Daylily Hyperion Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Hyperion Daylily’s will prefer dry, well drained soils with high organic matter
content so remember to add some compost or manure to the planting hole when you first install your daylily and a
handful or so of compost each year will keep daylily’s foliage and blooms looking great
Heirloom Daylily Hyperion Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Heirloom Daylily Hyperion will reach 36 inches high and wide
with the flower stalks rising to just above the foliage.
Heirloom Daylily Hyperion Growth Habit:
– Clumping grass like perennial forms an attractive mound of foliage.
Heirloom Daylily Hyperion Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Daylily.
Heirloom Daylily Hyperion Bloom:
-FRAGRANT!!! And if that wasn’t enough to convince you to give these tried and true
Daylilies a try, you will just have to come see them in bloom. The abundant clear lemon yellow gracefully
arching blooms are 4.5 inches across in diameter and really do just cover the tops of the foliage in summer
– Mid Season repeat bloomer.
Heirloom Daylily Hyperion Water Requirements:
– Drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to
get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Hyperion Daylily blooms will attract hummingbirds and butterfly’s to your garden
to feed on the nectar produced by the flowers.
Best Uses For Heirloom Daylily Hyperion:
– I love to see these old fashion ( Heirloom) Daylilies in giant masses, they are
beautiful lining a driveway and fit perfectly into any garden setting whether it is a cottage garden full of
blooms or a more formal foundation planting these daylilies can find a home anywhere and quickly become personal
Care of Heirloom Daylily Hyperion:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
-They will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental
irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost as the foliage emerges or a
mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose
plant food or 10-10-10.