S & J Nursery’s Guide to GrowingGaura Belleza Deep Pink
/ Compact Gaura
in the Northeast Florida Landscape
( Gaura lindheimeri ‘Belleza’)
Gaura Belleza Dark Pink Preferred Exposure:
– Gaura Belleza Dark Pink will prefer full sun or afternoon sun and morning shade exposures in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens landscape.
Gaura Belleza Dark Pink Foliage:
– Gaura Leindheimeri Belleza Dark Pink has a great compact foliage shorter and fuller than is typical of the species.
Gaura Belleza Dark Pink Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Gaura lindheimeri is a Native of Texas and Louisiana. They prefer well drained and even infertile soils. The sandier the better! (plants grown in to fertile of soil will tend to be leggy and have sparse blooms.
– Salt tolerance unknown
Gaura Belleza Dark Pink Size Variance:
– Gaura Belleza Dark Pink is a compact selection only reaching 16-18 inches high and 12-18 inches wide. Ideal for lower growing and front of the border plantings or containers.
Gaura Belleza Dark Pink Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive compact mound of foliage that unlike so many other perennial plants never needs dividing!
Gaura Belleza Dark Pink Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Gaura Lindheimeri Belleza Dark Pink can be expected to reach its full height in the first season and its full width by the second growth season in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Gaura Lindheimeri Belleza Dark Pink Bloom:
– The deep dark pink blooms of Gaura Lindheimeri Belleza resemble little butterflies and are held upright on flowering stalks above the foliage. Blooms are closely set on the branching spikes, they open just a few at a time with the fading flowers falling neatly from the stems as new ones open to take their place from spring into summer and fall.
Gaura Belleza Dark Pink Water Requirements:
– Gaura Lindheimeri Belleza Dark Pink is drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Gaura Belleza Dark Pink will attract butterflies to your gardens landscape.
Best Uses For Gaura Belleza Dark Pink in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area garden:
– Gaura’s have long been a personal favorite perennial for my garden. The dainty butterfly shaped blooms, low maintenance requirements and drought tolerance of gaura make it a perfect addition to any well drained or even hot and dry area of the garden where other plants tend to suffer.
– Plant in masses around a bird bath or other accent for a beautiful and graceful display of blooms.
– Gaura Lindheimeri Belleza Dark Pink makes a great companion plant for other perennials in the garden and adds an instant cottage garden feel when planted in any landscape.
– Tolerant of poor soils and preferring well draining soil conditions, Gaura make an ideal accent in a mixed flower pot or container planting.
Care of Gaura Lindheimeri Belleza Dark Pink in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape:
– Remember Gaura respond better to well drained infertile soil so light on the attention for best blooming results. Save all the TLC for a fussier plant.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
– Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as
Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.