S & J Tree Farm and Nurserys Guide to Growing
Dwarf Hameln Fountian Grass
for the Northeast Florida / Jacksonville and St. Augustine area landscape
We are currently no longer growing this grass,
information is kept for informational purposes only.
Dwarf Hameln Fountain Grass Hameln Origins:
– Pennisetum Alopecuroides Dwarf Hameln are native to eastern Asia.
Fountain Grass Dwarf Hameln Preferred Exposure:
– Fountain Grass Dwarf Hameln will prefer a full sun location in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Fountain Grass Dwarf Hameln Foliage:
– Thin foliage is a light green and has a delicate texture.
– Herbaceous ornamental grass plant in the North Florida landscape. When
planted farther south into St. Augustine area these plants may remain reliably evergreen in the winter season.
Dwarf Hameln Fountain Grass Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Pennisetum Alopecuroides Dwarf Hameln will tolerate a wide range of soil
components providing the soil is well drained.
– Salt tolerance is unknown, have it successfully growing at seaside, let us
Fountain Grass Dwarf Hameln Size Variance:
– Fountain Grass Dwarf Hameln can be expected to reach 2-3 ft in height
and 1-2 ft wide.
Dwarf Hameln Fountain Grass Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, upright, clumping habit of Pennisetum Alopecuroides Dwarf Hameln forms an attractive dense mound of fine textured foliage that tends to droop over toward the top third portion of the plant, much resembling a fountain, giving it its common name.
Fountain Grass Dwarf Hameln Growth Rate:
– Pennisetum Alopecuroides Dwarf Hameln is a fairly fast grower, expect them to reach their full size the first season after planting and regrow quickly the following season from the ground.
Dwarf Hameln Fountain Grass Bloom:
– Fountain Grass Dwarf Hameln has rather showy white, plants bloom in summer to the first frost. Inflorescence can be used in cut flower arrangements.
Dwarf Hameln Fountain Grass Water Requirements:
– Low water needs make Pennisetum Alopecuroides Dwarf Hameln ideal for Xeroscapes plantings as they are relatively drought tolerant once established into the landscape.
– Fountain Grass Dwarf Hameln plants will require supplemental irrigation after being planted in the ground from the S & J Nursery container but will survive on their own with little help after establishing itself into the landscape.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Fountain Grass Dwarf Hameln is not touted as a butterfly or bird attracting plant.
Best Uses For Dwarf Hameln Fountain Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
– They are an ideal landscape plant for low maintenance, low water, low trim landscaping.
– Plant in masses around a bird bath, palm, or other accent for a little added color and texture in the garden.
– White Fountain Grass makes a great stand alone potted accent plant for patios and pools.
– Pennisetum Alopecuroides ‘Hameln’ is safe for planting near
naturalized areas or wooded lots, as they do not reseed themselves like most others of the species.
Care of Dwarf Hameln Fountain Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area landscape:
– When planted in the more Northern portion of our North Florida | Jacksonville |St. Augustine area, Pennisetum Alopecuroides will require trimming the foliage off at ground level in late winter or early spring before the new foliage begins to emerge fertilizing for best results.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.