S & J Nursery’s Guide to
Mac the Knife Daylily
For Northeast Florida Landscapes
( Hemerocalis ‘Mac the Knife’)
Mac the Knife Daylily Preferred Exposure:
– Mac the Knife Daylilies will tolerate full sun and morning shade with afternoon sun locations in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine landscape.
Mac the Knife Daylily Foliage:
– Evergreen perennial has grassy foliage adds great texture to the landscape.
Mac the Knife Daylily Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Mac the Knife Daylily’s will prefer dry, well drained soils with high organic matter content so remember to add some compost or manure to the planting hole when you first install your daylily and a handful or so of compost each year will keep daylily’s foliage and blooms looking great.
Mac the Knife Daylily Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Mac the Knife Daylily will reach 30 inches high and 18 inches wide with the flower stalks rising to just above the foliage.
Mac the Knife Daylily Growth Habit:
– Clumping, grass like perennial forms an attractive mound of foliage.
Mac the Knife Daylily Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Daylily cultivar.
Mac the Knife Daylily Bloom:
– Mac the Knife is a reblooming daylily variety with a beautiful Bright apple red petal with a lemon yellow stripe down the center towards a small yellow throat. They are considered a mid-season bloomer.
Mac the Knife Daylily Water Requirements:
– Drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to get the Mac the Knife Daylily rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Mac the Knife Daylily blooms will attract hummingbirds and butterfly’s to your garden to feed on the nectar produced by the flowers.
Best Uses For Mac the Knife Daylily’s:
– I love to see Daylilies in masses of 7 or more plants, they are unbelievably
beautiful when in bloom and the evergreen grasslike foliage is a great garden filler and an attractive landscape plant when they are not blooming.
– Try Mac the Knife daylilies in a decorative pot on a porch or patio for a low maintenance pop of color during the summer months near a patio or pool area where they can be enjoyed.
Care of Mac the Knife Daylily:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
-They will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers.
– Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or