S & J Nursery’s Guide to
for Northeast Florida Landscape
( Hemerocallis ‘Clara’)
Daylily Clara Preferred Exposure:
– Daylily Clara will tolerate full sun to light shade ( morning shade and afternoon sun ) in our North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens.
Daylily Clara Foliage:
– Semi – Evergreen foliage may go dormant in the winter and may remain
evergreen depending on the winter temperatures here in the Northeast Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
Daylily Clara Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Daylily Clara will prefer dry, well drained soils with high organic matter content
so remember to add some compost or manure to the planting hole when you first install your daylily and a handful
or so of compost each year will keep daylily’s foliage and blooms looking great
Daylily Clara Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Daylily Clara will reach 15 inches high and 12 inches wide with
the flower stalks rising to just above the foliage.
Daylily Clara Daylily Growth Habit:
– Semi – evergreen, clumping grass like perennial forms an attractive mound of
Daylily Clara Growth Rate:
– Moderate to fast growing Daylily cultivar.
Daylily Clara Bloom:
– One of my favorite daylily selections Clara has big bold blooms that are hard to
ignore in the landscape, The color is a deep dark pink that is somewhere halfway between bubble gum pink and
bright cherry red. The color is amazing and the blooms are 5 inches across!
– Early to mid season bloomer
– Repeat Bloomer!
Daylily Clara Water Requirements:
– Drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to
get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Daylily Clara blooms will attract hummingbirds and butterfly’s to your garden to
feed on the nectar produced by the flowers.
Best Uses For Daylily Clara:
– I love to see these Daylilies in masses of 7 or more plants, they are unbelievably
beautiful when in bloom and a great garden filler when not.
– One of my favorite daylily selections, Daylily Clara makes an excellent
companion plant to other perennial flowering plants because it compliments everything!!!
– Try Daylily Clara in a decorative pot on a porch or patio for a low maintenance
pop of color during the summer months near a patio or pool area where they can be enjoyed.
Care of Daylily Clara:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
-They will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental
irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers.
– Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or