S & J Nursery’s Guide to
Juniper Torulosa / Hollywood
in the Northeast Florida Landscape
chinensis ‘Torulosa’ )
Juniperus chinensis ‘Torulosa’ / Hollywood Juniper Origins:
– Torulosa junipers are a selection on Juniper chinensis grown for its
graceful and unique upright swirling branches.
Preferred Exposure of the Hollywood Juniper/
Juniper Torulosa :
– Plant your Torulosa Juniper into a
full sun location here in the Jacksonville, St. Augustine area of your Northeast Florida landscape.
Foliage | Bark of the Juniperus chinensis
‘Torulosa ‘ :
– Vibrant green foliage remains evergreen during the winter.
– Seen in both a single trunk and multiple trunks, the torulosa bark is green
in areas of new growth and matures to a dark brown.
Soil Preference / Salt tolerance of the Juniperus chinensis ‘Torulosa’ Hollywood Juniper
– Hollywood juniper torulosa trees are tolerant of a wide range of soil
conditions, acid, sandy dry soils, loam, alkaline, etc. as long as the soils are well draining.
– High salt tolerance.
Size Variance of the Hollywood Juniper / Juniper
– Junipers will grow to 10-15 ft in height and about 10 ft wide here in the
Northeast Florida landscape.
Growth Habit of the Juniper Torulosa /
Hollywood Juniper chinense ‘Torulosa’ :
– Grown for it’s pyramidal growth habit, Hollywood Juniper torulosa has very
upright branches that twist and turn giving each plant a unique appearance.
Growth Rate of Juniper Torulosa
/ Hollywood Juniper in Northeast Florida:
– Moderate growing trees should add 6 – 12 ” of height each year.
Water Requirements of the Juniper Torulosa Tree:
– Drought tolerant once established into the landscape from your S & J
Nursery container. Water well during the establishment period.
Blooms and Fruits / Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Less than .5 inch cones not wildlife attracting.
Best Uses For Hollywood Juniper / Torulosa Juniper in the North Florida,
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape:
– The dense evergreen foliage of the Hollywood juniper makes it an ideal
choice for a privacy screen to block out neighboring houses or unsightly views.
– Perfect for a windscreen or where a more narrow or columnar evergreen may be
– High salt tolerance makes Juniper Torulosa / Hollywood Juniper an excellent
coastal plant selection.
– Drought tolerant and virtually maintenance free, the Hollywood juniper is an easy
care landscape plant selection for the Northeast Florida landscape.
– Can be trained as an espalier.
– Good street tree, good choice for highway medians and parking areas.
– Perfect shape for a living Christmas tree.
Care of Juniper chinense ‘Torulosa’ :
– Water every day during the establishment period. See watering your newly
planted trees for more information.
– Provide a 1 ft diameter circle of mulched area where grass is kept from growing
for each inch of caliper (or diameter) of trunk measured 4 inches from the ground level.
– Fertilize each spring with a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly
coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food, sprinkling the fertilizer around
the mulch circle underneath the foliage of the tree