S & J Nurserys Guide to Growing
Gaura Pink Fountain
in the Northeast Florida Landscape
Gaura Pink Fountain Preferred Exposure:
– Gaura Pink Fountiain will prefer full sun or afternoon sun and morning shade exposures in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens landscape.
Gaura Pink Fountain Foliage:
– Gaura Leindheimeri Walgaupf Pink Fountain has a great maroon color to its foliage.
Gaura Lindheimeri Walgaupf Pink Fountain Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Gaura lindheimeri is a Native of Texas and Louisiana. They prefer well drained and even infertile soils. The sandier the better! (plants grown in to fertile of soil will tend to be leggy and have sparse blooms.
– Salt tolerance unknown
Gaura Pink Fountain Size Variance:
– Gaura pink Fountain grows 24-30 inches high and 18-24 inches wide.
Gaura Pink Fountain Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive mound of burgundy foliage that unlike so many other perennial plants never needs dividing! Pink Fountain has been grown and bred for its upright stiff flowering branches that don’t flop over like some of the other Gaura will tend to do, so it holds its own better when planted alone.
Gaura Pink Fountian Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Gaura Lindheimeri Walgaupf Pink Fountain can be expected to reach its full height in the first season and its full width by the second growth season in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Gaura Lindheimeri Walgaupf Pink Fountain Bloom:
– The soft pink blooms of Pink Fountain Gaura resemble little butterflies and are held upright on flowering stalks above the foliage. Blooms are closely set on the branching spikes, they open just a few at a time with the fading flowers falling neatly from the stems as new ones open to take their place
from spring into summer and fall.
Gaura Pink Fountain Water Requirements:
– Pink Fountain Gaura is drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular
water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Gaura Pink Fountian will attract butterflies to your gardens landscape.
Best Uses For Gaura Pink Fountain in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area garden:
– Gaura’s have long been a personal favorite perennial for my garden. The dainty butterfly shaped blooms, low maintenance requirements and drought tolerance of gaura make it a perfect addition to any well drained or even hot and dry area of the garden where other plants tend to suffer.
– Plant in masses around a bird bath or other accent for a beautiful and graceful display of blooms.
– Gaura Lindheimeri Pink Fountain makes a great companion plant for other perennials in the garden and adds an instant cottage garden feel when planted in any landscape.
– Tolerant of poor soils and preferring well draining soil conditions, Gaura make an ideal accent in a mixed flower pot or container planting.
Care of Gaura Lindheimeri Belleza Dark Pink in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape:
– Remember Gaura respond better to well drained infertile soil so light on the attention for best blooming results. Save all the TLC for a fussier plant.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
– Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.