S & J Nursery’s Guide to Growing
Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear
Plants in the Northeast Florida Landscape
Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear Origins:
-One of my favorite new alocasia selections, bred right here in
Florida at Aroidia research by LariAnn Garner. How is that for made in America!
Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear Preferred Exposure:
– Plant these large specimen Elephant Ear plants in a full sun to full shade garden
location in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear Foliage:
– Really a beautiful plant, these large leaves are held uprighton the stems and area
a dark stone color or rosy gray to blackinsh green color on the top and muted burgundy on
the base. They are hard to describe and these color descriptions definately do not get it, but I’m trying!
The color is so unique you have to touch these plants to make sure they are real !
– Hardy in Zones 9-10, the foliage will go dormant during the winter season
and regrow from the underground tuber quickly in spring and summer.
Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ ear plants will prefer soils rich in
organic material so amend the soil with compost when planting for best results.
– Moist but well draining soils.
– Salt tolerance unknown.
Alocasia ‘Regl Shields’ Elephant Ear Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ plant will reach 3 ft high and
3-4 ft wide.
Alocasia ‘Regaal Shields’ Elephant Ear Growth Habit:
– Clumping perennial forms an attractive, upright mound of tropical foliage.
Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear Growth Rate:
– Fast growing, especially during the hot summer months when rainfall levels
Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear Water Requirements:
– Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is
necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J
Nursery container. Use supplemental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Best Uses For Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear in the Jacksonville | St.
Augustine Area Landscapes :
– Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear is a great easy care low maintenance
addition to just about any landscape.
– Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear plants will blend perfectly into
traditional formal landscapes or tropical gardens.
– Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ also are right at home in the middle of a perennial bed
and blend beautifully into any Cottage garden setting.
– Elephant Ear make an excellent potted plant accent for the pool or
– Excellent pond side planting, in ground or container.
– Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimens for added
attraction to any landscape setting, near a seating wall, water feature, bird bath or park bench, etc.
Care of Alocasia ‘Regl Shields’ Elephant Ear :
– Low care landscape pant selection.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
– Alocasia Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment
period and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted
into sandy soils.
– As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting your
Alocasia ‘Regal Shields’ Elephant Ear plants will help get them off to a great start.
– Fertilize each spring with a shovel full or two of garden compost
placed around the plant or a mixture of Milorganite or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as
Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.