Salvia Wendy’s Wish
( Salvia Hybrid ‘Wendys Wish’ )
Salvia Wendy’s Wish:
– A shrubby or semi woody perennial plant, grown as an annual in colder climate zones. Here in the North
Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens and landscapes, Salvia Wendy’s Wish is a reliable if sometimes
herbaceous ( depending on the planting location) Perennial that will last many seasons in the garden.
– This low maintenance plant is perfect for Florida’s hot summers and keeps on blooming when other flowering
plants have begun to decline. Blooms from spring to fall and attracts both butterflies and hummingbirds to the
Salvia Wendy’s Wish Exposure:
– Perennial Salvia Wendy’s Wish will do best in a full sun or with a partial sun /
partial shade exposure in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Perennial Salvia Wendy’s Wish Foliage:
– Large, dark minty green heart shaped foliage, evergreen to 25 -30 degrees F . so
here in North Florida this Salvia selection will do quite well remaining mostly evergreen over most winters.
Perennial Salvia Wendy’s Wish Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Salvia Wendy’s Wish is not particular about the components of the soil it is
planted in providing they are planted in a well draining location.
– Unknown Salt tolerance. Have it at the beach? Let us know how it did!
Perennial Salvia Wendy’s Wish Size Variance:
– Salvia Wendy’s Wish is a very fast grower and will grow quickly grow to heights of
3-4 feet and 3 feet wide. Ideal for larger back of the border plantings and perfect in mixed flowering
Salvia Wendy’s Wish Growth Habit:
– Perennial plant forms an attractive upright mound of foliage, slightly taller than
it is wide.
Salvia Wendy’s Wish Growth Rate:
– Fast growing salvia guaranitica can be expected to reach its full height in just
its first growing season after being planted in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
Salvia Wendy’s Wish Bloom:
– Beautiful maroon stems and calyxs with a bright hot pink bloom. Very pretty in
spring summer and fall!
– Flower stalks rise above the foliage in early spring and continue blooming to the
Salvia Wendy’s Wish Water Requirements:
– Salvia Wendy’s Wish will perform best when supplimental irrigation is
– Regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after
being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– S & J Nursery’s Perennial Salvia Wendy’s Wish will attract butterflies and
hummingbirds to your North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscapes and gardens.
Best Uses For Salvia Wendy’s Wish in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
– Easy maintenance blooming plant for perennial beds and flower borders.
– Great selection for a mixed container planting.
– Plant in masses for a blooms display that cant be missed!
– Salvia Wendy’s Wish makes a great companion plant for other flowering perennials
in the garden.
– Deer resistant flowering selection!
– Attracts butterflies and Hummingbirds!
Care of Perennial Salvia Wendy’s Wish in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area landscape:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container, once plants have established themselves into the landscape, you can begin to taper watering
back to just a semi weekly application if local rainfall levels are low.
– Leave foliage and roots in place for next years growth. Trim off winter damage as
needed in spring for fastest regrowth.
– Trim back both foliage and blooms in spring regardless of whether your planting
has kept its leaves or died back. Trim back the woody stems that have formed to just 12-18 inches above ground
level or all the way back to ground level if needed to allow the plant to regrow new lush foliage for the new
– Fertilize each spring, and again when trimming in late summer with a handful of
garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated
plant food such as
Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant
food or 10-10-10.