Dianthus Amazon ‘Neon’ Duo
Garden Pinks / Carnations in Northeast Florida
( Dianthus Chinensis x Barbatus)
Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo Origins:
– Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo is a the result of a cross between Dianthus Chinensis ( Chinese Dianthus ) and Dianthus Barbatus ( Sweet William). The result is a spectacular large blooming, fragrant, heat tolerant, low maintenance landscape Carnation for the North Florida landscape.
– Amazon Series dianthus come in three colors, a pink and white bicolor bloom, a bright neon purple and a bright hot pink and Cherry Red color.
Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo Preferred Exposure:
– Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo will need a full sun or partial sun and partial shade exposures in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens landscape.
Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo Foliage:
– Medium green foliage strap-like foliage.
Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
-Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo will prefer moist, fertile well draining soils in the North Florida landscape.
– Amend soil when planting with a heaping shovel full of garden compost.
– Unknown Salt tolerance. Have it at the beach? Let us know how it did!
Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo Size Variance:
– Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo will grow to height of 18-36 inches and 10-16 inch spread within just a few weeks of being planted into the right garden setting.
Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo Growth Habit:
– Upright foliage will form a mounded habit when the weight of the large blooms begins to arch the stems.
Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo can be expected to reach its height potential quickly in the landscape.
Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo Bloom:
– Bright hot pink and cherry red flower clusters stand above the foliage on flower stalks, lightly sweet scented blooms attract butterflies and bees by the score to the garden!
– Remove spent blooms for best flowering results.
– Cut and bring indoors into flower arrangements to brighten any room!
Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo Water Requirements:
– Plants will perform best when supplemental irrigation is supplied.
– Regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– S & J Nursery’s Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo will attract butterflies and bees to your North Florida gardens landscape.
Best Uses For Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
– Low maintenance flowering selection perfect for mixed container planting for North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine areas cooler seasons. Planting in the fall, plants will bloom intermittently through the fall and winter season and put on a show stopping display the following spring. Foliage is hardy to 10 degrees!
– Great selection for a mixed container planting, bright eye catching color and a sweetly fragrant smell make them perfect for patios and entryway where they can be enjoyed up close.
– Attracts bees and butterflies to the garden!
Care of Dianthus Amazon Neon Duo in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area landscape:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container, once plants have established themselves into the landscape, you can begin to taper watering back to just a semi weekly application if local rainfall levels are low.
– Trim back both foliage and blooms to just 6-8 inches from the ground level in mid summer when flowers and foliage have begun to decline. You may be surprised how easily “annual” dianthus plants will become your favorite perennial plant selections with just a little bit of tender loving care at the right time!
– Fertilize every three months, beginning in the fall, then again in mid winter, spring and when trimming back in the heat of the summer months with a handful of garden compost or a your favorite granular flowering plant food.