S & J Nursery’s Guide to Growing
Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse
Plants in Northeast Florida
( Xanthosoma Albo Marginata ‘Mickey Mouse’ )
Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear Preferred Exposure:
– Plant these beautiful variegated elephant ear plants in partial shade in the
Northeast Florida area landscape for best results.
Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear Foliage:
– Possibly the most unique foliage I have seen on an Elephant ear and thats saying
alot! The ” Mickey Mouse” Xanthosoma gets its name from the large ears that develop above the eye of each
beautifully variegated leaf as well as the small “tail” that forms on the end of each leaf tip.
– My favorite thing about these leaves is that is seems no two are ever
alike, the color pattern and even shape of each leaf seems to vary indefinately. The new foliage emerges a
creamy yellow and fades to a bright white variegation in an array of different patterns on the leaf surface.
– Although the foliage goes dormant each winter it quickly regrows in the
spring form the underground tuber. These plants are cold hardy well above our semitropical climate zones in the
North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landcsape. ( Hardy to zone 7B) and make a reliable garden
Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse elephant ear plants will prefer moist soils rich with
organic materials. Amend with compost / humus when planting for best results.
– Salt tolerance unknown.
Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse plant will reach 4-5 ft high and
4-5 ft wide.
Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear Growth Habit:
– Winter dormant, clumping perennial forms an attractive, upright mound of tropical
Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear Growth Rate:
– Fast growing during the hot summer months with lots of rainfall.
Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear Water Requirements:
– Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is
necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J
Nursery container. Use supplimental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Best Uses For Xanthosoma Mickey MouseElephant Ear in the Jacksonville | St.
Augustine Area Landscapes :
– Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear is a great easy care low maintenance addition
to just about any landscape. Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear plants will blend perfectly into traditional
formal landscapes or tropical gardens. Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear also are right at home in the middle
of a perennial bed and blend beautifully into any Cottage garden setting.
– Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Ear make an excellent potted plant accent for the
pool or patio area.
– Excellent pond side planting, in ground or containered.
– Perfect in masses under larger trees to brighten up shady areas.
Care of Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear :
– Low care landscape pant selection.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
– Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment period and
supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into sandy
– As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting your
Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general
purpose plant food or 10-10-10.