S & J Nursery’s Guide to Growing
Evergreen Giant Loriope
in the Northeast Florida / Jacksonville | St. Augustine
Evergreen Giant Grass Origins:
– These ‘Florida Friendly’ landscape plants are best described by one of my favorite garden books, in the “Southern Living Garden Book” they describe Liriope as ” tough as nails ground covers from Asia”.
– Liriope Muscari Evergreen Giant makes an ideal landscape plant for low
maintenance, low water, no trim landscaping.
Evergreen Giant Grass Preferred Exposure:
– Evergreen Giant Grass will grow well in a full sun location or a fully
shaded spot and everything in-between providing the soil is well drained in the North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area landscape.
Evergreen Giant Grass Foliage:
– Lily turf has thin strap like foliage that is a deep dark green ,
upright clumps form a rounded mound.
– Evergreen in the North Florida landscape.
Evergreen Giant Grass Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Evergreen Giant Grass is best planted into fertile well draining soils but will tolerate a wide range of soil components as long as the soil is well draining.
– Liriope does not like consistently wet roots.
Evergreen Giant Grass Size Variance:
– Evergreen Giant Grass can grow 1-2 ft in Height and eventually spread 1-2 ft Wide. ( tends to be taller in fully shaded locations )
Evergreen Giant Grass Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive dense mound of foliage with a fountain shade habit.
Evergreen Giant Grass Growth Rate:
– Evergreen Giant Grass is a fairly fast grower, expect them to double their size in the first year after being planted.
Evergreen Giant Grass Bloom:
-Blooms are small lavender purple bloom clusters tight on stalks held
within and just above the plant height during the summer months. Very pretty addition to an already attractive landscape plant.
Evergreen Giant Grass Water Requirements:
– Low water needs make Liriope Muscari ideal for Xeroscapes plantings.
– Plants will require supplemental irrigation after being planted in the ground from the S & J Nursery container but will survive on their own with little help after establishing itself into the landscape.
– When planting in a full sun location supplemental irrigation at least weekly will be needed to keep the plants at their best.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Evergreen Giant Grass is not touted as a butterfly or bird attracting plant. .
Best Uses For Evergreen Giant Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
– Evergreen Giant Grass is an excellent evergreen perennial selection for the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
– Evergreen Giant Grass makes a perfect low maintenance landscape selection.
– Plant Lilyturf in masses around a bird bath, palm, or other accent for a little added color and texture in the garden.
– Liriope Muscari will form a dense groundcover when planted 18 inches
from the center of one plant to the center of another.
– Plant Liriope Muscari along the edge of a walkway or path for a clean edged look.
– Excellent front of the border planting for an instant curb appeal. Great
substitute for lower growing annual beds where you are just tired of having to replant each season.
– Deer resistant landscape plant!
– Evergreen Giant Grass makes a great potted accent plant particularly when in a mixed flowering decorative pot.
Care of LiriopeMuscari Evergreen Giant / Lilyturf in the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape:
– Liriope Muscari may be dug and divided in the spring every 3-5 years to
make additional plants to locate in other areas of the garden.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.