S & J Nursery’s Guide
Daylily Always Afternoon
in the Northeast Florida Lands ape
( Hemerocallis ‘Always Afternoon’ )
Always Afternoon Daylily Preferred Exposure:
– Full sun to light shade in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
landscape. Afternoon sun with morning shade is preferable.
Always Afternoon Daylily Foliage:
– Classified as a semi evergreen daylily cultivar, Always Afternoon daylily will
remain evergreen in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area garden.
Always Afternoon Daylily Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Daylily Always Afternoon will prefer dry, well drained soils with high organic
matter content so remember to add some compost or manure to the planting hole when you first install your
daylily and a handful or so of compost each year will keep daylily’s foliage and blooms looking great
Always Afternoon Daylily Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Always Afternoon Daylily will reach 18-22 inches high and wide
with the flower stalks rising to just above the foliage.
Daylily Always Afternoon Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping grass like perennial forms an attractive mound of foliage.
Always Afternoon Daylily Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Daylily cultivar.
Always Afternoon Daylily Bloom:
– Daylily Always afternoon is a large blooming cultivar with ruffled deep rosy
purplish pink flowers with a purple eye Zone and a green throat.
– Always Afternoon is an Early bloomer that will repeat bloom.
Always Afternoon Daylily Water Requirements:
– Drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to
get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Always Afternoon Daylily blooms will attract hummingbirds and butterfly’s to your
garden to feed on the nectar produced by the flowers.
Best Uses For Always Afternoon Daylily’s:
– I love to see Daylilies in masses of 7 or more plants, they are unbelievably
beautiful when in bloom and a great garden filler when not.
– Try Always Afternoon Daylilies in a decorative pot on a porch or patio for a low
maintenance pop of color during the summer months near a patio or pool area where they can be enjoyed.
– Daylilies make excellent companion plants in the cottage garden adding
texture and color to the gardens landscape and compliment surrounding perennials beautifully.
Care of Always Afternoon Daylily:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
-They will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental
irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers.
– Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or