S & J Nursery’s Perennial
Salvia Mystic Spires
( Salvia Hybrid ‘Mystic Spires’)
Salvia Mystic Spires:
– A new compact selection of an S & J favorite for the North Florida landscape. Salvia Mystic Spires is a dwarf form of the tried and true Indigo Spires Salvia.
– This low maintenance plant is perfect for Florida’s hot summers and keeps on blooming when other flowering plants have begun to decline. Blooms from spring to fall and attracts both butterflies and hummingbirds to the
Salvia Mystic Spires Exposure:
– Perennial Salvia Mystic Spires will do best in a full sun or with a partial
sun / partial shade exposure in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Perennial Salvia Mystic Spires Foliage:
– Large, dark minty green heart shaped foliage, cold hardy salvia selection
is evergreen to 0- 10 degrees F . So here in North Florida this Salvia selection will do quite well remaining evergreen over our coastal winters.
Perennial Salvia Mystic Spires Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– Salvia Mystic Spires is not particular about the components of the soil it is
planted in providing they are planted in a well draining location.
– Unknown Salt tolerance. Have it at the beach? Let us know how it did!
Perennial Salvia Mystic Spires Size Variance:
– Salvia Mystic Spires is a very fast grower and will grow quickly grow to heights of 2-3 feet and 2-3 feet wide. Ideal for middle of the border plantings and great when combined with other perennials in mixed plantings for containers.
Salvia Mystic Spires Growth Habit:
– Perennial plant forms an attractive upright mound of foliage, about as tall
as it is wide.
Salvia Mystic Spires Growth Rate:
– Fast growing Salvia Mystic Spires can be expected to reach its full height in just its first growing season after being planted in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Salvia Mystic Spires Bloom:
– Beautiful deep dark purple to blue blooms and calyx.
– Flower stalks rise above the foliage in early spring and continue blooming to the first frost.
Salvia Mystic Spires Water Requirements:
– Salvia Mystic Spires will perform best when supplimental irrigation is
– Regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– S & J Nursery’s Perennial Salvia Mystic Spires will attract butterflies and
hummingbirds to your North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscapes and gardens.
Best Uses For Salvia Mystic Spires in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
– Easy maintenance blooming plant for perennial beds and flower borders.
– Great selection for a mixed container planting.
– Plant in masses for a blooms display that cant be missed!
– Salvia Mystic Spires makes a great companion plant for other flowering perennials in the garden.
– Deer resistant flowering selection!
– Attracts butterflies and Hummingbirds!
Care of Perennial Salvia Mystic Spires in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area landscape:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container, once plants have established themselves into the landscape, you can begin to taper watering back to just a semi weekly application if local rainfall levels are low.
– Leave foliage and roots in place for next years growth. Trim off any winter damage in colder climates as needed in spring for fastest regrowth.
– Trim back both foliage and blooms in spring regardless of whether your planting has kept its leaves or died back. Trim back the woody stems that have formed to just 12-18 inches above ground level or all the way back to ground level if needed to allow the plant to regrow new lush foliage for the new season.
– Fertilize each spring, and again when trimming in late summer with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.