S & J Nursery’s Guide to growing
Weeping Yaupon Holly
in the Northeast Florida Landscape
Ilex vomitoria ‘Pendula’ / Weeping Yaupon Holly Origins:
– Native to North America, including Florida.
Preferred Exposure of the Ilex vomitoria ‘Pendula’ / Weeping Yaupon
– Weeping Yaupon Holly trees can be grown in a full sun or partial shade location in our Jacksonville and St. Augustine area landscapes.
Foliage | Bark of the Ilex vomitoria ‘Pendula’ / Weeping Yaupon Holly :
– Evergreen, oval leaves are dark green above and have NO blackish or dark brown pores on the bottom of the leaf ( An identification tool that helps differentiate it from Compacta Holly bushes that are also common
in the Jacksonville and St. Augustine area landscape). Leaves are .5 -1.5 inches long with a 1/8 inch petiole.
– Bark on the Weeping Yaupon Holly tree is a white to grey color.
– Can be found in both single trunk and multi trunk specimens.
Soil Preference / Salt tolerance of the Ilex vomitoria ‘Pendula’ / Weeping Yaupon Holly:
– Tolerant of a wide range of soil conditions clay, sand,
loam, acidic, alkaline.
– Can be planted into dry soils as well as soils that are occasionally wet.
– High salt tolerance.
Size Variance of the Ilex vomitoria
‘Pendula’ / Weeping Yaupon Holly :
– Ilex Vomitoria “Pendula’ trees are usually found in the Northeast Florida
landscapes at sizes of 15-25 feet H | 10-12+ feet W. (wider if multi trunked
– Upright trunks with drooping
branches that curve downward sharply.
Growth Rate of the Ilex vomitoria ‘Pendula’
/ Weeping Yaupon Holly:
– Moderate growing, expect Weeping Yaupon Holly trees to grow
anywhere from 1-2 feet per year in height depending on water and nutrient availability.
Responds well to heavy fertilization.
Blooms and Fruits of the Ilex
vomitoria ‘Pendula’ / Weeping Yaupon Holly:
-Inconspicuous greenish white flowers give way to beautiful red drupes in the fall on female plants.
– The 1/4 inch fruits on female plants attract birds to the landscape. And the leaves contain caffeine and can be used to make a coffee replacement or caffeine tea.
Water Requirements of the Ilex vomitoria ‘Pendula’ / Weeping Yaupon Holly:
– Drought tolerant selection! Water well during the establishment period after being planted into the landscape from the S & J Nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Fruits attract birds to the landscape.
Best Uses For Ilex vomitoria
‘Pendula’ / Weeping Yaupon Holly :
– Easy care native landscapes plant selection for the Northeast Florida gardens.
– Low trimming requirements and dense foliage growth makes Yaupon Holly an ideal landscape choice for informal or natural looking privacy
screens or property barriers.
– Ideal for hedges, specimen plantings and espalier forms.
– Female plants produce berries that attract birds to the garden.
Care of the Ilex vomitoria ‘Pendula’ / Weeping Yaupon Holly :
– Beautiful garden specimen planting. Often sold with the bottom foliage
removed to expose the bright grey to white wood on the trunks.
– Water every day during the establishment period.
See watering your newly planted trees for more information. Drought tolerant and will not require additional irrigation after rooted and established into the landscape.
– Fertilize each spring and again in summer if trying to get them to grow quickly with a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food, sprinkling the fertilizer around the mulch circle underneath the foliage of the tree