Stokes Aster in Northeast Florida
( Stokesia laevis Good-N-Purple )
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Exposure:
– Stokes Asters will prefer a full sun or lightly shaded exposure in the North
Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area landscape.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Foliage:
– Compact mounds of deep dark green leathery tufts of foliage remain evergreen in
our North Florida gardens.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– While not particular of soil components, Stokesia Good-N-Purple will need good
drainage and will thrive in any well drained soil.
– Salt tolerance unknown.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Size Variance:
– Stokesia Good-N-Purple stays low and only reaches 12-24 inches tall even with the
flowering stalks rising high above the foliage. White Surprise will form a clump of foliage 18 inches wide.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive compact mound
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Growth Rate:
– Stokesia is a moderate grower and can be expected to almost reach its full size
within the second or third season after planting from a nursery container.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Bloom:
– Stokesia Laevis Good-N-Purple has strikingly large blooms for such a compact
little plant. Clusters of 3-4 inch wide bright purple blossoms are held upright on thick stems above the foliage
of the plant in summer and into fall in the North Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area garden.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Water Requirements:
– Water daily for 2-3 weeks after planting and weekly during hot dry summers for
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Stokes Asters in bloom bring loads of butterflies to the garden.
Best Uses For Stokesia Laevis Good-N-Purple in the North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area garden:
– Stokesia is an excellent perennial selection for the North Florida | Jacksonville
| St. Augustine area landscape. Low maintenance, compact form and lots of color make it a garden staple that
everyone should find a place for in the garden. Its one of my personal favorites and I know you will love it
– Plant in masses around a bird bath or other accent for a low maintenance yet
beautiful display of blooms.
– Plant along the edge of a walkway or path for an added pop of color to lead you on
– Excellent front of the border planting for an instant cottage garden feel.
Care of Stokesia Good-N-Purple in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
– Dig and divide plant every few years for best results.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container. And at least weekly during hot dry summer months.
– Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year to maintain
plants tidy appearance.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or