Myan White and Myan Purple for the
Northeast Florida Landscape
( Ruellia simplex “Myan Purple” or “Myan White” )
As the knowledge of a the “Purple Showers” sterile cultivar of Mexican petunia becomes more commonplace, the fear of Mexican Petunias invading, unwanted, into prized garden spaces subsides. The Result? Mexican petunias are showing up in gardens and landscapes once again! With their growing popularity comes my favorite part, new cultivars of non invasive petunias! The new Myan Purple and Myan White Mexican Petunias are every bit as pretty as their misbehaving ancestors without the worry of new seedlings popping up in undesirable locations. The blooms are big and bright and these tall and stately plants will make an excellent addition to your garden!
Sun Exposure for the Mexican Petunia Myan Purple and Myan White:
– Full sun to partial shade when planted into the Jacksonville | St. Augustine | surrounding areas of Northeast Florida
Mexican Petunia Myan Purple and Myan White Foliage:
– Myan White and Myan purple Mexican petunias have nice lush medium to dark green foliage.
Soil Preference / Salt tolerance of Mexican Petunia Myan Purple and Myan White:
– Ruellia simplex will thrive in most any soil from heavy hard packed clay with poor drainage to sandy always dry sites.
Mexican Petunia Myan Purple and Myan White Size Variance:
– The foliage on the Myan Series of Mexican petunias is said to be slightly smaller than it’s aggressive predecessors that will reach 3-4 feet high and wide. That remains to be seen as this plant is a new introduction and information even from my commercial supplier was hard to come by! I am expecting an average of a 3 ft high and wide plant, but we shall see!
Mexican Petunia Myan Purple and Myan White Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping perennial forms an attractive mound of foliage.
Growth Rate of Mexican Petunia Myan Purple and Myan White:
– Fast growing plant is perfect for filling large areas of the landscape quickly.
Mexican Petunia Myan Purple and Myan White Bloom:
– These flowers don’t disappoint! Large 2-2.5 inch trumpet shaped blooms are brightly colored and extremely prolific. You can expect blooms in spring summer fall and right into the winter months on the Myan Mexican Petunia here in the Northeast Florida area landscapes.
Water Requirements for Mexican Petunia Myan Purple and Myan White:
– Drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Ruellia attracts a host of butterflies to the North Florida garden!
Best Uses For Ruellia Simplex Myan Purple and Myan White:
– Beautiful when planted alone, as an accent for a birdbath, seating bench or other landscape focal point.
– Great flower display when massed around an ornamental tree or Island Bed in the center of the Landscape.
– These plants really offer allot of color with minimal care!
– Perfect for beginning gardeners!
– Try Ruellia simplex ‘Myan White’ or ‘Myan Purple’ in a decorative pot on a porch or patio for a low maintenance pop of color during the summer months near a patio or pool area where they can be enjoyed.
Care of Ruellia / Mexican Petunia Myan Purple and Myan White:
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
– Trim back any winter or cold damage each spring by trimming the plant down to 12-14 inches above ground level. These plants will regrow quickly and reward your efforts with an abundance of blooms.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.