S & J Nurserys Guide to Growing
Society Garlic Plants
for the Northeast Florida
Jacksonville / St. Augustine area Landscape
( Tulbaghia violacea)
– These ‘Florida Friendly’ landscape plants are native to South Africa. They are an ideal landscape plant for low maintenance, low water, no trim landscaping.
Society Garlic Preferred Exposure:
– Society Garlic will prefer a full sun or partial sun and partial shade location in the North Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area landscape.
– Although you may find references to this plants use in a fully shaded
location, flowering will be sparse if at all when plants don’t get enough sunlight.
Society Garlic Foliage:
– Thick almost succulent like foliage is thin and strappy, upright clumps form a rounded mound of gray green foliage.
– Evergreen down to 20-25 degrees F. If planted in cooler climates of frost
prone areas trim back foliage to ground level in spring ad the plant will regrow and bloom quickly.
– Foliage is highly fragrant and can be used in cooking, use similar to how
you would use green onions foliage for a mild garlic flavor.
Society Garlic Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
– These plants are goof proof, plant in acid or alkaline, wet or dry locations in any soil composition.
– Medium salt tolerance.
Society Garlic Size Variance:
– Society Garlic can grow 1-2 ft in Height and eventually spread1-2 ft Wide.
Society Garlic Growth Habit:
– Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive dense mound of foliage.
Society Garlic Growth Rate:
– Society Garlic is a fairly fast grower, expect them to double their size in the
first year after being planted.
Society Garlic Bloom:
– Beautiful lavender trumpet shaped flowers in circular clusters on
the ends of flowering stalks held high above the foliage in spring summer and fall in he North Florida |Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. Flowers most profusely in the spring with 10- 20 flower stalks on a mature clump at a time!
Society Garlic Water Requirements:
– Low water needs make Society Garlic ideal for Xeroscapes plantings.
– Plants will require supplemental irrigation after being planted in the ground from the S & J Nursery container but will survive on their own with little help after establishing itself into the landscape.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
– Society Garlic is not touted as a butterfly or bird attracting plant. .
Best Uses For Society Garlic in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
-It’s Edible! I grew these plants as ornamental for so many many years always wondering what made it ornamental instead of edible. Well, nothing! the rhizome, leaves and flowers are all edible and have a nice mild garlic chive / onion flavor to add to soups stews and salads or anywhere you would normally use green onions and chives.
– Society Garlic is an excellent perennial selection for the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
– Low maintenance, compact low growing habit and lots of blooms our a long period of time make it a garden staple that everyone should find a place for in the garden.
– Plant in masses around a bird bath or other accent for a beautiful and graceful display of blooms.
– Plant along the edge of a walkway or path for an added pop of color to lead you on your way.
– Excellent front of the border planting for an instant eye appeal. Great substitute for lower growing annual beds where you are just tired of having to replant each season for lots of flowering color.
– Deer resistant landscape plant!
– Fire resistant landscape plant!
Care of Society Garlic in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
– Plant may be dug and divided in the spring or in the fall every 3-5 years to make additional plants to locate in other areas of the garden.
– Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from a nursery container.
– Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.