S & J Nursery's guide to growing
Weeping Youpon Holly
in the Northeast Florida Landscape
Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon Holly Origins:
- Native to North America, including Florida.
Preferred Exposure of the Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon
- Weeping Youpon Holly trees can be grown in a full sun or partial
shade location in our Jacksonville and St. Augustine area landscapes.
Foliage | Bark of the Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon
- Evergreen, oval leaves are dark green above and have NO blackish or dark
brown pores on the bottom of the leaf ( An identification tool that helps differentiate it from Compacta
Holly bushes that are also common in the Jacksonville and St. Augustine area landscape). Leaves are .5 -1.5
inches long with a 1/8 inch petiole.
- Bark on the Weeping Youpon Holly tree is a white to grey
- Can be found in both single trunk and multi trunk specimens.
Soil Preference / Salt tolerance of the Ilex vomitoria
'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon Holly:
- Tolerant of a wide range of soil conditions clay, sand, loam, acidic,
- Can be planted into dry soils as well as soils that are occasionally wet.
- High salt tolerance.
Size Variance of the Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon
- Ilex Vomitoria "Pendula' trees are usually found in the Northeast Florida
landscapes at sizes of 15-25 feet H | 10-12+ feet W. (wider if multi trunked tree)
- Upright trunks with drooping branches that curve downward
Growth Rate of the Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon
- Moderate growing, expect Weeping Youpon Holly trees to grow
anywhere from 1-2 feet per year in height depending on water and nutrient availability. Responds well to heavy
Blooms and Fruits of the Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon
-Inconspicuous greenish white flowers give way to beautiful red drupes in
the fall on female plants.
- The 1/4 inch fruits on female plants attract birds to the landscape. And the
leaves contain caffeine and can be used to make a coffee replacement or caffeine tea.
Water Requirements of the Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon
- Drought tolerant selection! Water well during the establishment period after
being planted into the landscape from the S & J Nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Fruits attract birds to the landscape.
Best Uses For Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon
- Easy care native landcapes plant selection for the Northeast
- Low trimming requirements and dense foliage growth makes Youpon Holly an
ideal landscape choice for informal or natural looking privacy screens or property barriers.
- Ideal for hedges, specimen plantings and espalier forms.
- Female plants produce berries that attract birds to the garden.
Care of the Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' / Weeping Youpon Holly :
- Beautiful garden specimen planting. Often sold with the bottom foliage
removed to expose the bright grey to white wood on the trunks.
- Water every day during the establishment period. See watering your newly planted trees for more information.
Drought tolerant and will not require additional irrigation after rooted and established into the landscape.
- Fertilize each spring and again in summer if trying to get them to
grow quickly with a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote
or Stay Green general purpose plant food, sprinkling the fertilizer around the mulch circle underneath the
foliage of the tree
Click here to open a new window for more information on Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula' Weeping Youpon Holly for the Northeast Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area landscapes.