S & J Nursery's Variegated Aztec Grass
/ Variegated Monkey Grass
( Liriope Muscari 'Aztec' )
Choose an image to begin
Variegated Aztec Grass Origins:
- These 'Florida Friendly' landscape plants are best described by one of my favorite
garden books, in the "Southern Living Garden Book" they describe Liriope as " tough as nails ground covers
- They are an ideal landscape plant for low maintenance, low water, no trim
- Cold hardy to 20 degrees F these tough little ground covers make an
excellent addition to the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Variegated Aztec Grass Preferred Exposure:
- Variegated Aztec Grass will prefer a shaded or partial sun or partial sun and
partial shade location in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape but will tolerate a
full sun location extremely well providing ample irrigation is provided to the area.
Variegated Aztec Grass Foliage:
- Thin strap like foliage is variegated green with white, upright clumps form a
- Evergreen down to 20 degrees F. If planted in cooler climates of frost prone
areas trim back foliage to ground level in spring and the plant will regrow.
Variegated Aztec Grass Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Variegated Aztec Grass will tolerate a wide range of soil components as long as
the soil is well draining. Liriope does not like consistently wet roots.
-Medium to high salt tolerance.
Variegated Aztec Grass Size Variance:
- Variegated Aztec Grass can grow 1-2 ft in Height and eventually spread 1-2 ft
Wide. ( tends to be taller in fully shaded locations )
Variegated Aztec Grass Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive dense mound of
Variegated Aztec Grass Growth Rate:
- Variegated Aztec Grass is a fairly fast grower, expect them to double their
size in the first year after being planted.
Variegated Aztec Grass Bloom:
-Blooms are small white bloom clusters tight on stalks held within and just
above the plant height during the summer months. Not particularly showy due to the highly variegated foliage,
the white blooming stalks tend to blend with the vibrantly variegated foliage.
Variegated Aztec Grass Water Requirements:
- Low water needs make Variegated Aztec Grass ideal for Xeroscapes
- Plants will require supplemental irrigation after being planted in the ground from
the S & J Nursery container but will survive on their own with little help after establishing itself into
- When planting in a full sun location supplemental irrigation at least weekly
will be needed to keep the plants at their best.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Variegated Aztec Grass is not touted as a butterfly or bird attracting plant.
Best Uses For Variegated Aztec Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
- Variegated Aztec Grass is an excellent evergreen perennial selection for the
North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
- Low maintenance landscape selection.
- Plant in masses around a bird bath, palm, or other accent for a little added color
and texture in the garden.
- Plant along the edge of a walkway or path for a clean edged look.
- Excellent front of the border planting for an instant curb appeal. Great
substitute for lower growing annual beds where you are just tired of having to replant each season.
- Deer resistant landscape plant!
- Variegated Aztec Grass makes a great potted accent plant particularly when in a
mixed flowering decorative pot.
Care of Variegated Aztec Grass / Liriope / Monkey Grass in the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape:
- Plant may be dug and divided in the spring every 3-5 years to make additional
plants to locate in other areas of the garden.
- When planting in frost prone areas, trim back foliage to nearly ground level
or mow it our with your mower on its highest setting and allow the plant to regrow new each year for the best
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or
Click this link for more
information on Variegated Aztec
North Florida | Jacksonville
| St. Augustine