S & J Nursery's Guide to
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto / Stokes Aster
in the Northeast Florida
( Stokesia laevis Klaus Jelitto )
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Pink Preferre d Exposure:
- Stokes Asters will prefer a full sun or lightly shaded exposure in the North
Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area landscape.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Foliage:
- Compact mounds of deep dark green leathery tufts o foliage remain evergreen in our
North Florida gardens.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- While not particular of soil components, Stokesia Klaus Jelitto will need good
drainage and will thrive in any well drained soil.
- Salt tolerance unknown
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Size Variance:
- Stokesia Klaus Jelitto stays low and only reaches 12-23 inches tall even with the
flowering stalks rising high above the foliage. Klaus Jelitto will form a clump of foliage 12-18 inches
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive compact mound
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Growth Rate:
-Stokesia is a moderate grower and can be expected to almost reach its full size
within the second or third season after planting from a nursery container.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Bloom:
- Stokesia Laevis Klaus Jelitto has a strikingly large blooms for such a compact
little plant. Clusters of 2 inch wide blue blossoms are held upright on thick stems above the foliage of the
plant in summer and into fall in the North Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area garden.
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto Water Requirements:
- Water daily for 2-3 weeks after planting and weekly during hot dry summers for
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Stokes Asters in bloom bring loads of butterflies to the garden.
Best Uses For Stokesia Laevis Klaus Jelitto in the North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area garden:
- Stokesia is an excellent perennial selection for the North Florida | Jacksonville
| St. Augustine area landscape. Low maintenance, compact form and lots of color make it a garden staple that
everyone should find a place for in the garden.
- Plant in masses around a bird bath or other accent for a beautiful and graceful
display of blooms.
- Plant along the edge of a walkway or path for an added pop of color to lead you on
- Excellent front of the border planting for an instant cottage garden feel.
Care of Stokesia Klaus Jelitto in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
- Dig and divide plant every few years for best results.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container. And at least weekly during hot dry summer months.
- Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year to maintain
plants tidy appearance.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or
Fall in love with Stokes Aster?
Check out these other Stokesia selections....
Stokesia White Surprise
Laevis Blue Stokes Aster
Stokesia Mary Gregory Yellow