Shrimp Plant 'Fruit Cocktail'
( Justicia Brandegeana 'Fruit Cocktail' )
Shrimp Plant "Fruit Cocktail" Origins:
- Native to Mexico Shrimp Plants are a great low water shade loving plant for
the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardener. I fell in love with this beautiful flower
when walking through the Jacksonville Zoo with my boys many, many years ago and although its taken me
far to long to decide that they are just to hard to track down when I need them and to grow them
ourselves, I'm so glad to have them growing and expect them to be ready for planting late summer of
2012! Justicia Brandegeana is a tried and true favorite for our Florida gardens and a great indoor plant in
other areas, I know you'll love this great soft almost pastel colored selection as much as I do... Happy
Update, these plants are temporarily out of stock, sold the crop that we had ready
pretty quickly this spring and so far havent been able to track down the plant starts again. Still trying!
Shrimp Plant Fruit Cocktail Preferred Exposure:
- Justicia Brandegeana Fruit Cocktail will grow in full sun or shade in
the North Florida landscape. The flowers and leaves will tend have better color in a shadier landscape
situation in Florida's sun soaked gardens, but by all means plant it where you want it and let it grow!
Shrimp Plant Fruit Cocktail Foliage | Bark:
- Bright green foliage is oval to elliptical in form and about 21/2 inches in
Justicia Brandegeana Fruit Cocktail Shrimp Plant Soil Preference / Salt
- Shrimp plant Fruit Cocktail is widely tolerant of soil conditions.
- Salt tolerance unknown
Shrimp Plant Fruit Cocktail Size Variance:
- Shrimp Plant Justicia Brandegeana will grow slightly smaller than the species only
tending to grow to 2-3 ft high and wide in the North Florida gardens landscape.
Shrimp Plant Fruit Cocktail Growth Habit:
- Rounded growth habit, best results when tipped back as a small plant a few
times until dense branches and foliage is obtained and then allowed to bloom.
Shrimp Plant Fruit Cocktail Growth Rate:
- Fast growing plant will grow 6 inches to a 1 foot in a seasons time.
Shrimp Plant Fruit Cocktail Bloom:
- Shrimp Plants are grown for their unique blooms and Fruit Cocktail is
defiantly no exception. One of my personal favorite selections for its soft pink and limey greenish yellow
coloring that reminds me of Ice cold Sherbert and just makes my North Florida sun soaked garden
seem a bit cooler... just by looking at them.
Shrimp Plant Fruit Cocktail Water Requirements:
- Water well after planting during the establishment period and reduce water
once your plant has resumed active growth in the landscape.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Butterfly and Hummingbird attracting!!!
Best Uses For Shrimp Plant Fruit Cocktail:
- Low water use landscape plant that is surprisingly cold hardy and a
perfect choice to add flower color to those green, green and more green shaded garden spots. But don't rule
out Shrimp plants for sunnier locations, they aren't picky and will grow there to.
- Easy care low maintenance plat for the gardener who wants to look like
they spend allot of time in their garden without actually spending allot of time on their garden. Almost
constantly in bloom whether you decide to trim them back or not.
Care of Shrimp Plant Fruit Cocktail Plants:
- Pinch back newly planted smaller shrimp plants several times
until multiple bushy stems and foliage have developed and then let them go and watch them
bloom. All Justicia respond well to pruning and can be sheared back after blooming for another spectacular
blooming show in the spring summer and fall.
- Don't like to fuss with your plants? Leave them be without pruning and you
will still be amazed at how well these plants bloom, they will just tend to be a bit more sprawling.
- Water Justicia Brandegeana Fruit Cocktail every day during the establishment
period. Reduce water when plants have resumed growth in the landscape.
- Fertilize each spring with a heaping shovel full of well aged compost or a slow
release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food, sprinkling the
fertilizer around the mulch circle underneath the foliage of the plant.
Want to see more rare and unusual plants and new introductions to
S & J Tree Farm and Nursery? Check out these great new items...
Bottlebrush Dwarf Macarthur
Brunfelsia Americana Lady of the
on Shrimp Plant Fruit
North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area