S & J Nursery's Red Fountain Grass
/ Purple Fountain Grass
( Pennisetum Setaceum Rubrum )
Red Fountain Grass Origins:
- These boldly colored ornamental grasses belong to the Pennisetum
Setaceum classification that originate in the tropical African areas, southwestern Asia and the Arabian
Red Fountain Grass Preferred Exposure:
- Red Fountain Grass will prefer a full sun location in the North Florida
| Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Red Fountain Grass Foliage:
- Thin foliage is a deep dark maroon color and is most often a herbaceous plant in
the North Florida landscape. When planted farther south into St. Augustine area these plants may remain reliably
evergreen in the winter season.
Red Fountain Grass Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Red Fountain Ornamental Grass Pennisetum Setaceum Rubrum will
tolerate a wide range of soil components providing the soil is well drained
- Salt tolerance is unknown, have it successfully growing at seaside, let us
Red Fountain Grass Size Variance:
- Pennisetum Setaceum Rubrum can be expected to reach 3-4 ft in height and 2 ft
Red Fountain Grass Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, upright, clumping habit of Red Fountain Grass forms an attractive dense
mound of fine textured deeply red colored foliage that tends to droop over toward the top third portion of the
plant, much resembling a fountain, giving it its common name.
Red Fountain Grass Growth Rate:
- Red Fountain Grass is a fairly fast grower, expect them to reach their full size
the first season after planting and regrow quickly the following season from the ground.
Red Fountain Grass Bloom:
- Red Fountain Grass has rather showy rose colored bloom in late summer to the first
frost. Inflorescence may reach 12 inches in length and can be used in cut flower arrangements.
Red Fountain Grass Water Requirements:
- Low water needs make Red Fountain Grass ideal for Xeroscapes plantings as they are
relatively drought tolerant once established into the landscape.
- Red Fountain Grass plants will require supplemental irrigation after being planted
in the ground from the S & J Nursery container but will survive on their own with little help after
establishing itself into the landscape.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Red Fountain Grass is not touted as a butterfly or bird attracting plant. .
Best Uses For Red Fountain Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
- They are an ideal landscape plant for low maintenance, low water, low trim
- Red Fountain Grass is an excellent foliage color plant selection
for the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
- Plant in masses around a bird bath, palm, or other accent for a little added color
and texture in the garden.
- Red Fountain Grass makes a great stand alone potted accent plant for patios and
Care of Red Fountain Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
- When planted in the more Northern portion of our North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area, these plants will require trimming the foliage off at ground level each spring when
fertilizing for best results.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or
Why Use 'Osmocote Plus' fertilizer for the
North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
It's poly coated slow release granules allow you to fertilize without the excess
waste going down into our water ways that you get when you fertilize with other water soluble fertilizers,
Osmocote special poly coated fertilizer beeds are heat release and slowly swell up and burst over time, they
don't dilute every time we get a rain or your sprinkler system comes on!!!
This slow release system makes it virtually impossible to damage your plant by over
fertilizing. Its goof proof!
My favorite part about Osmocote Plus is there's no need to constantly re apply, not
weekly, not semi weekly, not even monthly! Osmocote Plus fertilizer will last 6 months in the garden, so apply
in the spring and again in late summer to keep your plants looking their best without the constant fuss.
Click this link for more
information on Red Fountain Grass / Pennisetum Setaceum Rubrum for the North
Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area landscape.