S & J Nursery
Popcorn Drift Rose
/ Rosa 'Novarospop'
Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop' Origins:
- Well Conard Pyle seems to have done it again! The people who brought us the
Knockout family of roses has introduced an easy care, disease resistant selection of groundcover roses that are
not only well mannered in the garden but fit in just about anywhere. Whether your filling in a gap in the
perennial border or want some extra curb appeal on the front of the foundation plantings at your home or office
or just have a container by the door or patio area you want some low maintenance color in, Drift roses are the
perfect fit for your gardens needs. Its no wonder these pretty little Roses are popping up everywhere from
subdivision entry ways to parking lots and even hillsides, they just keep on blooming ( setting buds every 5-6
weeks from spring until frost to be more precise) with very little help from us along the way. What more could
you ask for? More colors? They've got that covered to!!!
Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop' Preferred Exposure:
- Yellow drift roses will prefer a full sun location or a minimum of 6-8 hours of
direct sun a day in our North Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area landscapes to perform at their
Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop'Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Plant Popcorn Drift Roses in North Florida in just about any well draining
soil. Add a healthy shovel full of compost or cow manure to the planting hole when you dig and you'll love the
extra help it gives you as you establish the rose in your gardens landscape.
Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop' Size Variance:
- Popcorn Drift Roses are compact spreaders only reaching 2 ft in height and a
fair bit wider than they are tall spreading to 2 ft.
Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop' Growth Habit:
- Well its name kind of gives it away doesn't it? Although Drift Roses have a
rounded compact habit they are considered a spreading groundcover rose, they just drift right along blooming as
Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop' Growth Rate:
- Extremely quick to establish itself in the landscape and reaches mature size
within its first growing season when planted from a 3 gallon size nursery container.
Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop' Bloom:
- It didn't take but a few days after receiving our first shipment of Popcorn Drift
Rose's before I had a trunk full of them on their way home to my personal garden. Popcorn Drift rose's bloom
starts out a beautiful buttery yellow and matures to a creamy white with just a slight hint of pink flecking.
The overall effect is a pale buttery yellow that blends beautifully with surrounding perennials and
Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop' Water Requirements:
- Water daily to establish into the landscape and use supplimental irrigation twice
a week after that for best results in the landscape when not receiving regular rainfall.
Best Uses For Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop':
- Excellent when planted as a single specimen in a perennial border or when planted
in masses for maximum landscape curb appeal.
- Drift Roses also make great container plants, try a Drift Rose for planters at the
entryway of your home or next to the back porch or patio for an easy care long blooming accent that will gently
cascade over the sides of the container.
- These miniature rose bushes are also great Groundcovers for sloped hillsides and
embankments and are a sure bet to brighten up anyplace they are planted with an abundance of blooms.
Care Popcorn Drift Rose / Rosa 'Novarospop':
- Drift roses should be pruned back to just 6 inches each spring before growth
begins for the best results.
- Although by no means is it necessary, regular dead heading encourages a fast
rebloom and helps maintain a healthy and tidy appearance to a Drift Roses gently meandering nature. I like to
give them a bit of rose food each time I trim for a little extra TLC.
- Water every day during the establishment period. See watering your newly planted
items for more information.
- They will need good water during the establishment period and bi-weekly
supplimental irrigation particularly in periods of low local rainfall.
- Add compost or cow manure yearly as a surface treatment pulling back the mulch and
spreading it around under the foliage of the plant on top of the existing soil. don't forget to remulch around
the plants to help them stay cool and help them to retain moisture in our hot sunny North Florida gardens.
- Plants respond well to a mixture of rose food and Milorganite each spring and
again in mid summer, sprinkling the fertilizer around the mulch circle underneath the foliage of the plant.
Want to see more photos?
Click here for more information
Popcorn Drift Rose ' Novarospop'
Check out all of the great shrub roses
available at S & J Tree Farm and
for North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
Butterfly Rose Mutabilis
Caldwell Pink Rose Pink Pet
Apricot Drift Rose '
Coral Drift Rose 'Meidrifora'
Peach Drift Rose ' Meiggili'
Pink Drift Rose 'Meijocos'
Popcorn Drift Rose
Drift Rose Double Pink Sweet
Red Drift Rose 'Meigalpio'
Knockout Rose Blush
Knockout Rose Pink
Knockout Rose Yellow
Knockout Rose White
Knockout Rose Double Red
Knockout Rose Double
The Fairy Rose for
Northeast Florida Gardens