S & J Nursery's Mary Nell Holly Trees
for Northeast Florida
( Ilex Mary Nell )
Mary Nell Holly Origins:
- Not native to North America, the Ilex Mary Nell is an all female cultivated hybrid
cross between Ilex latifolia and ( Ilex cornuta x ilex pernyi)
Mary Nell Holly Preferred Exposure:
- Mary Nell Holly trees will tolerate both full sun and full shade equally well in the North Florida
| Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. They will tend, like other Holly cultivar to have more berries with
more sunny exposures.
Mary Nell Holly Foliage | Bark:
- Mary Nell Holly has a deep dark almost olive like glossy green foliage that
is heavily spine along the margins of the leaf.
- Bark of the Mary Nell Holly is a light pale tan.
Mary Nell Holly Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Characteristics similar to most species of Holly trees, the Mary Nell Holly will
prefer rich, slightly acidic well drained soils although they are widely tolerant of a range of soil
- Salt tolerance unknown
Mary Nell Holly Size Variance:
- The Mary Nell Holly can reach sizes of 10-20H | 10' W
Mary Nell Holly (Ilex Mary Nell) Growth Habit:
- Upright columnar growth habit and dense fully foliated branches, the Mary Nell
Holly tree tends to be narrow taller than it is wide and gradually widening from top to bottom in a Christmas
Mary Nell Holly Growth Rate:
- Slow growth rate makes the Mary Nell Holly an easily managed landscape plant for
accenting the foundation of a home or used as a hedge or privacy screen.
Mary Nell Holly Bloom:
- Small white flowers in clusters in summer are followed by berries in the fall and
Mary Nell Holly Water Requirements:
- Water well during the establishment period and any time after that when you are
trying to get your Holly to flush new growth or when attempting to correct a nutrient deficiency in the
- Mary Nell Holly trees will be drought tolerant once established in the he
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
Best Uses For Mary Nell Holly in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
- Mary Nell Holly's are an easy maintenance option when a narrow landscape accent is
needed due to lack vertical space.
- The Mary Nell Holly also makes a great landscape specimen tree that will require
little effort on your part to maintain its beautiful form and lush foliage.
- The Ilex Mary Nell is an excellent wind screen or evergreen privacy barrier
between neighbors or property lines. Drought tolerant with little care needed after establishment makes this
Holly tree selection an easy choice for the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
- Prune branch tips each winter for Christmas season decorations that will last for
weeks, the more you prune for decorations, the prettier your holly tree will be next year!
Care of Mary Nell Holly:
- Water every day during the establishment period. See watering your newly planted
trees for more information.
-They will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental
irrigation when attempting to add soil nutrients or after pruning to help flush new foliage.
- Provide a 1 ft diameter circle of mulched area where grass is kept from growing
for each inch of caliper (or diameter) of trunk measured 4 inches from the ground level.
- Fertilize each spring with a mixture of milorganite or 'GreenEdge' and a slow release poly coated plant food such as
Osmocote Plus slow release plant food fertilizer plants or
Stay Green general purpose plant food, sprinkling the fertilizer around on the mulch circle
area underneath the foliage of the tree.
Don't want to chase down those
products? Simply click the photos below, purchase through Amazon from this link and
have them delivered to your door! Not only do you skip the trip to the store but your supporting me in my
efforts to provide you with all the information you need to keep your North Florida garden growing at its best!
Thanks for considering your purchase here, I appreciate the help!
Why Use 'Osmocote
Plus' fertilizer for the North Florida | Jacksonville
| St. Augustine area landscape?
It's poly coated slow release granules allow you to fertilize without the excess
waste going down into our water ways that you get when you fertilize with other water soluble fertilizers,
Osmocote special poly coated fertilizer beeds are heat release and slowly swell up and burst over time, they
don't dilute every time we get a rain or your sprinkler system comes on!!!
This slow release system makes it virtually impossible to damage your plant by over
fertilizing. Its goof proof!
My favorite part about Osmocote Plus is there's no need to constantly re apply, not
weekly, not semi weekly, not even monthly! Osmocote Plus fertilizer will last 6 months in the garden, so apply
in the spring and again in late summer to keep your plants looking their best without the fuss.
- Osmocote plus multi purpose plant food is ever made available for amateur use
- Each granule contains 12 essential nutrients
- Everything your plant needs to thrive and the 6-month feeding pattern is controlled by the most
advanced technology in plant food
- One application feeds all season long up to 6 full months
- Works with virtually all plant varieties and in all soil conditions
Why Use 'Green Edge' fertilizer for
North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens and landscapes?
You don't have to have been in Florida long to realize that there
is just sand everywhere! The water provided by rains and irrigation systems disappears quickly into
Florida's sandy soils.
Its especially important when planting new items into the landscape to
make sure that your new plants are getting enough water and the root system isn't drying out. Think of milorganite
as adding tiny sponges to the soil for the root system of your plants, they are soaking up and holding all that
rain and irrigation water and slowly releasing the water and nutrients to your plants root system.
- Slow Release Fertilizer with 100% Organic Nitrogen
- Does Not Burn Plants
- Adds Organic Matter to Soil and Helps in Nutrient Recycling
- Grows Your Plants with Less Water and is Environmentally Friendly
- Use It For All Your Gardening Needs!
Check out this link for more information on Mary Nell Holly Trees in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.