S & J Nursery's Guide to Growing
Juniper Torulosa / Hollywood
in the Northeast Florida Landscape
chinensis 'Torulosa' )
Juniperus chinensis 'Torulosa' / Hollywood Juniper Origins:
- Torulosa junipers are a selection on Juniper chinensis grown for its
graceful and unique upright swirling branches.
Preferred Exposure of the Hollywood Juniper/
Juniper Torulosa :
- Plant your Torulosa Juniper into a
full sun location here in the Jacksonville, St. Augustine area of your Northeast Florida landscape.
Foliage | Bark of the Juniperus chinensis
'Torulosa ' :
- Vibrant green foliage remains evergreen during the winter.
- Seen in both a single trunk and multiple trunks, the torulosa bark is green
in areas of new growth and matures to a dark brown.
Soil Preference / Salt tolerance of the Juniperus chinensis 'Torulosa' Hollywood Juniper
- Hollywood juniper torulosa trees are tolerant of a wide range of soil
conditions, acid, sandy dry soils, loam, alkaline, etc. as long as the soils are well draining.
- High salt tolerance.
Size Variance of the Hollywood Juniper / Juniper
- Junipers will grow to 10-15 ft in height and about 10 ft wide here in the
Northeast Florida landscape.
Growth Habit of the Juniper Torulosa /
Hollywood Juniper chinense 'Torulosa' :
- Grown for it's pyramidal growth habit, Hollywood Juniper torulosa has very
upright branches that twist and turn giving each plant a unique appearance.
Growth Rate of Juniper Torulosa
/ Hollywood Juniper in Northeast Florida:
- Moderate growing trees should add 6 - 12 " of height each year.
Water Requirements of the Juniper Torulosa Tree:
- Drought tolerant once established into the landscape from your S & J
Nursery container. Water well during the establishment period.
Blooms and Fruits / Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Less than .5 inch cones not wildlife attracting.
Best Uses For Hollywood Juniper / Torulosa Juniper in the North Florida,
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape:
- The dense evergreen foliage of the Hollywood juniper makes it an ideal
choice for a privacy screen to block out neighboring houses or unsightly views.
- Perfect for a windscreen or where a more narrow or columnar evergreen may be
- High salt tolerance makes Juniper Torulosa / Hollywood Juniper an excellent
coastal plant selection.
- Drought tolerant and virtually maintenance free, the Hollywood juniper is an easy
care landscape plant selection for the Northeast Florida landscape.
- Can be trained as an espalier.
- Good street tree, good choice for highway medians and parking areas.
- Perfect shape for a living Christmas tree.
Care of Juniper chinense 'Torulosa' :
- Water every day during the establishment period. See watering your newly
planted trees for more information.
- Provide a 1 ft diameter circle of mulched area where grass is kept from growing
for each inch of caliper (or diameter) of trunk measured 4 inches from the ground level.
- Fertilize each spring with a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly
coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food, sprinkling the fertilizer around
the mulch circle underneath the foliage of the tree
Click here to open a new window for more information on
Juniper Torulosa / Hollywood Juniper
for the Jacksonville & St. Augustine area landscape