( Ilex Attenuata 'Eagleston' )
Eagleston Holly Origins:
- Native cross resulting from the Florida native Dahoon Holly and the native
American Holly that was selected and propagated commercially for its dense foliage
and bright red berries.
Eagleston Holly Preferred Exposure:
- Eagleston Holly trees will tolerate both full sun and full shade equally well
in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. They will tend, like other
Holly cultivar to have more berries with more sunny exposures.
Eagleston Holly Foliage | Bark:
- Prized for its full growth habit and dense soft green foliage, the Eagleston
Holly remains evergreen in the winter season.
- Bark of the Eagleston Holly is a light pale often mottled whitish
Eagleston Holly Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Characteristics similar most species of Holly trees, the Eagleston Holly will
prefer rich, slightly acidic well drained soils.
- Salt tolerance unknown
Eagleston Holly Size Variance:
- The Eagleston Holly can reach sizes of 20-25' H | 6-10' W
Eagleston Holly (Ilex Attenuata) Growth Habit:
- Upright columnar growth habit and dense fully foliated branches,
the Eagleston Holly tends to be narrow taller than it is wide and gradually widening from top to bottom in
a Christmas tree shape.
Eagleston Holly Growth Rate:
- Slow growth rate makes the Eagleston Holly an easily managed landscape plant
for accenting the foundation of a home or used as a hedge or privacy screen.
Eagleston Holly Bloom:
- Small white flowers in clusters in summer are followed by berries in the fall and
Eagleston Holly Water Requirements:
- Water well during the establishment period and any time after that when you are
trying to get your Holly to flush new growth or when attempting to correct a nutrient deficiency in the
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Birds love the berries produced by the Eagleston Holly in the winter months
in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscapes.
Best Uses For Eagleston Holly in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area Landscape:
- Eagleston Holly's are an easy maintenance option when a narrow landscape
accent is needed due to lack vertical space.
- The Eagleston Holly also makes a great landscape specimen tree that will
require little effort on your part to maintain its beautiful form and lush foliage.
- Prune branch tips each winter for Christmas season decorations that will last
for weeks, the more you prune for decorations, the prettier your holly tree will be next year!
Care of Eagleston Holly:
- Water every day during the establishment period. See watering your newly planted
trees for more information.
-They will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental
irrigation when attempting to add soil nutrients or after pruning to help flush new foliage.
- Provide a 1 ft diameter circle of mulched area where grass is kept from growing
for each inch of caliper (or diameter) of trunk measured 4 inches from the ground level.
- Fertilize each spring with a mixture of milorganite or 'Green Edge' and a slow
release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote for acid loving plants or Stay Green general purpose plant food,
sprinkling the fertilizer around the mulch circle underneath the foliage of the tree
Don't want to chase down those products?
Simply click the photos below, purchase through Amazon from this link and have them delivered to your door! Not
only do you skip the trip to the store but your supporting me in my efforts to provide you with all the
information you need to keep your North Florida garden growing at its best! Thanks for considering your purchase
here, I appreciate the help!
Why Use 'Osmocote Plus' fertilizer for
the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
It's poly coated slow release granules allow you to fertilize without the excess
waste going down into our water ways that you get when you fertilize with other water soluble fertilizers,
Osmocote special poly coated fertilizer beeds are heat release and slowly swell up and burst over time, they
don't dilute every time we get a rain or your sprinkler system comes on!!!
This slow release system makes it virtually impossible to damage your plant by over
fertilizing. Its goof proof!
My favorite part about Osmocote Plus is there's no need to constantly re apply, not
weekly, not semi weekly, not even monthly! Osmocote Plus fertilizer will last 6 months in the garden, so apply
in the spring and again in late summer to keep your plants looking their best without the constant fuss.
- Osmocote plus multi purpose plant food is ever made available for amateur use
- Each granule contains 12 essential nutrients
- Everything your plant needs to thrive and the 6-month feeding pattern is controlled by the most
advanced technology in plant food
- One application feeds all season long up to 6 full months
- Works with virtually all plant varieties and in all soil conditions
Why Use 'Green Edge' fertilizer for North
Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens and landscapes?
You don't have to have been in Florida long to realize that there is
just sand everywhere! The water provided by rains and irrigation systems disappears quickly into Florida's sandy
Its especially important when planting new items into the landscape to
make sure that your new plants are getting enough water and the root system isn't drying out. Think of milorganite
as adding tiny sponges to the soil for the root system of your plants, they are soaking up and holding all that
rain and irrigation water and slowly releasing the water and nutrients to your plants root system.
Slow Release Fertilizer with 100% Organic Nitrogen
Does Not Burn Plants
Adds Organic Matter to Soil and Helps in Nutrient Recycling
Grows Your Plants with Less Water and is Environmentally Friendly
Use It For All Your Gardening Needs!