S & J Nursery's Guide to
Daylily Joan Senior
for the Northeast Florida Landcapes
( Hemerocallis 'Joan Senior' )
Joan Senior Daylily Preferred Exposure:
- Joan Senior Daylilies will tolerate full sun to light shade ( morning shade and afternoon sun ) in our North
Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens.
Joan Senior Daylily Foliage:
- Evergreen foliage stays full and lush through the year in The North Florida
| Jacksonville | St. Augustine area garden making it an ideal daylily selection for home landscapes as well as
Joan Senior Daylily Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Joan Senior Daylily's will prefer dry, well drained soils with high organic matter
content so remember to add some compost or manure to the planting hole when you first install your daylily and a
handful or so of compost each year will keep daylily's foliage and blooms looking great
Joan Senior Daylily Size Variance:
- The foliage on the Joan Senior Daylily will reach 25 inches high and 18-24 inches
wide with the flower stalks rising to just above the foliage.
Joan Senior Daylily Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping grass like perennial forms an attractive mound of foliage.
Joan Senior Daylily Growth Rate:
- Fast growing Daylily cultivar.
Joan Senior Daylily Bloom:
- Stunning large 4.5-6 inch diameter nearly white daylily selection with a lime
green throat. Joan Senior blooms early mid season and is a repeat bloomer.
Joan Senior Daylily Water Requirements:
- Drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is necessary to
get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Joan Senior Daylily blooms will attract hummingbirds and butterfly's to your
garden to feed on the nectar produced by the flowers.
Best Uses For Joan Senior Daylily's:
- I love to see these Daylilies in masses of 7 or more plants, they are unbelievably
beautiful when in bloom and a great garden filler when not.
- One of my favorite daylily selections, Joan senior makes an excellent
companion plant to other perennial flowering plants because it compliments everything!!!
- Try Joan Senior in a decorative pot on a porch or patio for a low maintenance pop
of color during the summer months near a patio or pool area where they can be enjoyed.
Care of Joan Senior Daylily:
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
-They will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental
irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers.
- Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or
Like Joan Senior Daylily but still want to see more?
Check out this link for
North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
for other cultivars that do great in our area!