S & J Nursery's Guide to Growing
Coreopsis Golden Sphere
Perennial Tickseed in Northeast Florida
( Coreopsis Grandiflora ' Golden Sphere ' )
Coreopsis Grandiflora ' Golden Sphere ' Origins:
- Coreopsis Grandiflora is native to the southern portions of the United States. It
is cold hardy, pest resistant, low maintenance and not browsed by deer!
- Golden Sphere is a low growing selection that makes it an ideal groundcover
or front of the border planting for the garden.
Coreopsis Golden Sphere Perennial Tickseed Preferred Exposure:
- Coreopsis Golden Sphere will prefer a full sun location in the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscapes.
Coreopsis Golden Sphere Foliage:
- Compact foliage is light, bright green and remains evergreen in the winter season
in the Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Coreopsis Golden Sphere Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- While not particular of soil components, Coreopsis Sundancer will need good
drainage and will thrive in any well drained soil.
- Salt tolerance unknown
Coreopsis Golden Sphere Size Variance:
- Coreopsis Sundancer will grow only 10 inches high but will quickly grow 1-2 ft
wide in as little as one season in the landscape.
Coreopsis Golden Sphere Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive dense low
mound of foliage that makes a perfect front of the border or groundcover selection.
Coreopsis Golden Sphere Growth Rate:
- Fast growing plant can form a 2 ft clump in as little as one year.
Coreopsis Golden Sphere Bloom:
- Brightly colored flowers have bright yellow fully double petals and are held just
slightly above the foliage in spring. Deadhead blooms for continued flowering through the summer months if
Coreopsis Golden Sphere Water Requirements:
- Low to moderate water once established into the landcapes.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Coreopsis Golden Sphere will attract butterflies to your garden when bloom.
Best Uses For Coreopsis Golden Sphere in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
- Coreopsis Golden Sphere is an excellent low growing Perennial for Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
- Plant in masses as a flowering groundcover.
- Excellent front of the border planting for an instant eye appeal. Great substitute
for lower growing annual beds where you are just tired of having to replant each season for lots of flowering
- Butterfly attracting and deer resistant
Care of Coreopsis Golden Sphere in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
- Plant may be dug and divided every 2 years to make additional plants to locate in
other areas of the garden.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or
-For great blooming results try Miracle Grow' s new time release bloom feeding
fertilizer from Amazon marketplace here!
More Coreopsis selections available seasonally from North Florida's S & J
Coreopsis Mouse Ears