S & J Nursery's Coontie Palm
( Coontie Zamia Floridana / Coontie Zamia Pumila )
Coontie Palm Origins:
- Zamia Floridana / Zamia Pumila is a Florida native plant that
is a great drought tolerant groundcover or accent plant for the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
- Coontie Palms are the larval plant food of the Atala butterfly!
Coontie Palm Preferred Exposure:
- Plant Coontie Zamia Floridana / Zamia Pumila in a partial shade location
for best results in the North Florida | Jacksonville and St. Augustine area landcape but plants will tolerate
Coontie Palm Fronds | Trunk:
- Deep green foliage of the Coontie Palm remains evergreen through the
winter, plants do not develop a trunk but rather, thick, leathery feather-like fronds emerge from underground
- Foliage of the Florida native Coontie Palm is very showy tropical effect
in the landscape.
Coontie Palm Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Coontie Palms planted in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
landscape will tolerate virtually any soil components, providing they are planted into well drained soils.
- Salt tolerance is good and plants can be used in coastal areas of the North
Florida landscape. Plant near but not directly on ocean side.
Coontie Palm Size Variance:
- Zamia Floridana / Zamia Pumila plants can reach sizes of 2-4 feet H
| and spreading 3-5 feet in width.
Coontie Palm Growth Habit:
- Zamia Floridana / Pumila has a low growing, broad spreading habit that
will form a nicely rounded mound of tropical foliage.
- S & J Nursery's Coontie Palms add bold texture to the landscape and
add an instant tropical effect.
Coontie Palm Growth Rate:
- Slow growing member of the Cycad family will take many many years to reach
its potential size.
Coontie Palm Bloom:
- Coontie Palms have no flowers, plants are either male or female and female plants
can produce a cone like fruit that is quite showy.
Coontie Palm Water Requirements:
- Extremely drought tolerant once established into the landscape. S & J
Nursery's Coontie Palms store water that can be utilized by the plant during prolonged droughts.
Best Uses For Coontie Palm in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
- Coontie Palm is an excellent choice for a landscape statement as
its big bold textured foliage is very showy in the landscape and adds instant tropical appeal.
- Excellent potted plant for porches, patio, pool side and even indoor
- Plant Coontie Palms 3-5 ft from the center of one to the center of another
for a low maintenance groundcover for the Florida landscape.
Care of Coontie Palm / Zamia Floridana / Zamia Pumila Palms:
- Minimal effort needed for maintenance after planting.
- Fertilize each spring with a slow release Poly coated plant food like
- From UFIFAS Coontie Palm / Coontie Zamia Pumila
for the North Florida,| Jacksonville and St. Augustine's area
Check out these other great
Palm Selections at
North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
S & J Tree Farm and Nursery