S & J Nursery's
Colocasia Hawaiian Eye
( Colocasia Esculenta 'Hawaiian Eye' )
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' Origins:
- These modern versions of the tropical Asian Elephant Ears are every
bit as beautiful as their rampantly naturalizing predecessors but with ought all the headache to keep them in
bounds in the garden.
- Planting these well behaved modern cultivars of Colocasia that fit
perfectly into todays gardens will add bold tropical foliage for eye catching potted displays, water
gardens or traditional garden settings and mixed perennial borders.
- Colocasia Esculenta 'Hawaiian Eye' is a recent introduction from
the "Royal Hawaiian Series" of purple leafed Elephant Ear plants bred with disease resistant foliage
and nice tidy clumping habits.
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' Preferred Exposure:
- Plant purple Elephant Ears in a partial sun to shade in the North
Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' does well
in full sun as long as it is planted into a moist site or submerged as a garden pond plant. If
your garden is extremely sandy and dry consider planting it in a location that will receive some relief
from North Florida's hot sun.
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' Foliage:
- Stunning foliage of large, thick, glossy, heart shaped leaves Have
a velvety soft purple green underside and dark purple veining. The top portion of each leaf has a soft green
color that sets off the deep purple veining and makes a very pretty display. Deep purple stems add color
and interest to the plant especially when planting in an above ground container where stalks will be more
visibly on display.
- Foliage may remain evergreen during the winter in our North Florida
area gardens, but can go dormant and come back up the following spring depending on winter conditions and
- They are considered an evergreen perennial tuberous herb.
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Purple leaf elephant ear plants are tolerant of a wide range of soil
components and growing conditions, although they will be most at home with adequate moisture.
- Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' will tolerate wet soils for prolonged periods
and can be planted into poorly draining garden sites in our North Florida landscapes.
- Can be planted into pots and submerged as pond plants for water
- Salt tolerance unknown.
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' Size Variance:
- The foliage on the Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' plant will reach 4 -5 ft
high and 2-3 ft wide.
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping perennial herb forms an attractive, upright mound
of tropical foliage.
Hawaiian Eye Elephant Ear Growth Rate:
- Fast growing Colocasia Royal Hawaiian selection.
Colocasia Esculenta Ear Bloom:
- Huge blooms of Colocasia Esculenta are similar in appearance to Calla Lilies
and are rarely seen even on well established plant and area a stunning creamy white.
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' Water Requirements:
- Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is
necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J
Nursery container. Use supplimental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Best Uses For Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' in the Jacksonville | St.
Augustine Area Landscapes :
- Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' is a great easy care low maintenance addition to
just about any landscape. Hilo Bay Elephant Ear plants will blend perfectly into traditional
formal landscapes or tropical gardens. Colocasia also are right at home in the middle of a perennial bed
and blend beautifully into any Cottage garden setting.
- Colocasia make an excellent potted plant accent for the pool or
- Excellent pond side planting, in ground or containered.
- Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimens for added
attraction to any landscape setting, near a seating wall, water feature, bird bath or park bench, etc.
Care of Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' :
- Low care landscape pant selection.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
- Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment period
and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into
- As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting
your Colocasia plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general
purpose plant food or 10-10-10.
Check out these links to other great
Colocasia selections available at S & J
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Black
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye'
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian Hilo Bay
Colocasia Maui Gold
Colocasia esculenta Mojito
Colocasia 'Tea Cup'
Colocasia Varieties Main Page
Navigate to Alocasia
Varieties Main Page
Click here for more information on Colocasia Hawaiian Eye from Plant Haven breeders.
Click this link to return to
Tropical / Exotic/
Unusual Plants for Northeast Florida