S & J Nursery's Colocasia
Dragon Heart Gigante
for Northeast Florida Gardens
( Colocasia Esculenta "Dragon Heart Gigante' )
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante Origins:
- Dragon Heart Gigante is a new cultivar bred for its huge dark purple leaves!
Hardy to zones 8 makes these a perfect choice for Northeast Florida, Jacksonville and St. Augustine area gardens
- Planting these well behaved modern cultivars of Colocasia that fit
perfectly into todays gardens will add bold tropical foliage for eye catching potted displays, water
gardens or traditional garden settings and mixed perennial borders.
- Dragon Heart Gigante is touted to be able to reach heights of 7-8 ft in
just one season in the ground!
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante Preferred Exposure:
- Plant purple Elephant Ears in a partial sun to shade in the North
Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante does
well in full sun as long as it is planted into a moist site, planted with plenty of manure or well
composted soil or submerged as a garden pond plant. If your garden is extremely sandy and
dry consider planting it in a location that will receive some relief from North Florida's hot
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante Foliage:
- Dragon Heart Gigante has an unusual coloring for such a large leaf variety.
The dark purple leaves are large and catch your eye even from a far distance in the garden. But perhaps the
best part of this cultivar is its extremely fast growth, it is touted to grow up t 5-7 ft from the ground in
just one season, making it an ideal cultivar for people in more northern zones where the foliage is sure to die
down to ground level in spring, it will regrow and become a substantial garden plant quickly.
- Foliage may remain evergreen during the winter in our North Florida
area gardens, but can go dormant and come back up the following spring depending on winter conditions and
- Colocasia plants are considered an evergreen perennial tuberous
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Purple leaf elephant ear plant, Dragon Heart Gigante, is tolerant of a
wide range of soil components and growing conditions, although they will be most at home with adequate
- Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante will tolerate wet soils for prolonged periods
and can be planted into poorly draining garden sites in our North Florida landscapes.
- Can be planted into pots and submerged as pond plants for water
- Salt tolerance unknown.
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante Size Variances:
- The foliage on the Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye' plant will reach 5-7 ft high
and 5-6 ft wide.( mature size is not verified for our Northeast Florida, Jacksonville and St.
Augustine area climates as this is the first year we have had them)
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping perennial herb forms an attractive, upright mound
of tropical foliage.
Hawaiian Eye Elephant Ear Growth Rate:
- Dragon Heart Gigante is a fast growing Colocasia selection.
Colocasia Esculenta Purple Leaf Elephant Ear Dragon Heart Gigante Bloom:
- Huge blooms of Colocasia Esculenta are similar in appearance to Calla Lilies
and are rarely seen even on well established plant and area a stunning creamy white.
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante Water Requirements:
- Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is
necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J
Nursery container. Use of supplemental irrigation is recommended for best results.
Best Uses For Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante in the Jacksonville |
St. Augustine Area Landscapes :
- Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante is a great easy care low maintenance addition to
just about any landscape. Hilo Bay Elephant Ear plants will blend perfectly into traditional
formal landscapes or tropical gardens. Colocasia also are right at home in the middle of a perennial bed
and blend beautifully into any Cottage garden setting.
- Colocasia make an excellent potted plant accent for the pool or
- Excellent pond side planting, in ground or container.
- Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimens for added
attraction to any landscape setting, near a seating wall, water feature, bird bath or park bench, etc.
Care of Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante :
- Low care landscape pant selection.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
- Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment period
and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into
- As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting
your Colocasia plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general
purpose plant food or 10-10-10.
Check out these links to other great Alocasia
Colocasia selections available at S & J
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Black
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye'
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian Hilo Bay
Colocasia Maui Gold
Colocasia esculenta Mojito
Colocasia 'Tea Cup'
Colocasia Varieties Main Page
Navigate to Alocasia
Varieties Main Page
Click here for more information on Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante.
Click this link to return to
Tropical / Exotic/
Unusual Plants for Northeast Florida