S & J Nursery's Butterfly Ginger
( Hedychium Coronarium )
Hedychium Coronarium Butterfly Ginger Origins:
- Natives of Asian forested areas the Butterfly Ginger Hedychium coronarium
has long been a personal garden favorite of mine for the North Florida area. Fragrant clusters of white blossoms
in late summer and fall will perfume the entire yard. The graceful blooms look like butterflies in flight and
unlike many ginger species the Butterfly Gingers blooms are very visible as they stand atop the foliage on the
tall plant stems.
Butterfly Ginger Preferred Exposure:
- Plant Hedychium Coronarium Butterfly Ginger in a full sun to shaded location in
the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. ColocHedychium Coronarium Butterfly Ginger does
well in a sunnier location as long as it is planted into a moist garden site. If your garden is extremely sandy
and dry consider planting it in a location that will recieve some relief from North Florida's hot sun.
Butterfly Ginger Foliage:
- Upright stalks of shiny green foliage are attractive fillers in indoor
arrangements although the blooms themselves will not hold once cut from the plant.
- Foliage may remain evergreen during the winter in our North Florida area
gardens, but can go dormant and come back rapidly the following spring depending on winter conditions and
- Gingers are a rhizomatious perennial plant, that is they grow and spread
from underground rhizomes ( thick stemlike roots, very similar to the more familiar Iris family of plants ) and
form clumps of foliage.
Hedychium Coronarium Butterfly Ginger Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Butterfly Ginger is tolerant of a wide range of soil components and growing
conditions, although they will be most at home with adequate moisture and rich fertile soils will allow these
plants to thrive and quickly form a mature clump.
- Salt tolerance unknown.
Hedychium Coronarium Butterfly Ginger Size Variance:
- The foliage on the Butterfly Ginger plant will reach 5-6 ft high and 4-5 ft
Hedychium Coronarium Butterfly Ginger Growth Habit:
- Clumping perennial rhizomes forms an attractive, upright mound of tropical
foliagethat stands erect and gently arches at its edges and under the weight of the late summer to fall
Butterfly Ginger Growth Rate:
- Fast growing Gnger selection will reach maturity in an ideal garden location in
its second season in the ground, if your ginger plant is not taking off after its first year in the ground
consider ammending the area generously with compost and adding supplimental irrigation.
Hedychium Coronarium Butterfly Ginger Bloom:
- Huge bloom clusters of large white highly fragrant flowers stand on tips of
foliage stalks from August to October and can perfume the entire garden! Smell one and your hooked, a must have
plant for the avid gardener.
Butterfly Ginger Water Requirements:
- Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is
necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J
Nursery container. Use supplimental irrigation when planted in drier soil situations.
Best Uses For Butterfly Gingerin the Jacksonivlle | St. Augustine Area Landscapes
- Butterfly Ginger is a great easy care low maintenance addition to just about any
- Plant them as the backdrop to a mixed perennial border for added tropical
- Plant height lends itself to covering unsightly garden sheds fences or pool
pump areas etc.
Care of Butterfly Ginger:
- Low care landscape pant selection in rich soils. Ammend soil generously
whith compost or cow manure when planting for best results.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
an S & J Nursery container.
- Ginger plants will need not only good water during the establishment period and
supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into sandier
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite or Green Edge
Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or 10-10-10.
Check out these links to other great
Ginger selections available at S & J
Curcuma Variegated Hidden Ginger
Hedychium Pink V
Kaempferia Bronze Peacock
Peacock Ginger Silver Spot
Variegated Shell Ginger
Back to S & J
Tree Farm and Nursery's Ginger Varieties Home Page
Click here for more
Hedychium Coronarium Butterfly
Click this link to return to
Tropical / Exotic/
Unusual Plants for Northeast Florida