( Callistemon veminalis )
- native to the eastern United States
River Birch Preferred Exposure:
- full sun to light shade
Weeping Bottlebrush Foliage | Bark:
- foliage on the weeping bottlebrush trees are long and slender and can be up to 6
- Weeping bottlebrush foliage tends to be more towards the end of the long hanging
branches and not close to the trunk
Weeping Bottlebrush Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- moist soils, weeping bottlebrush will not tolerate open areas with high wind or dry
- Bottlebrush trees are highly salt tolerant
Weeping Bottlebrush Size Variance:
- Weeping Bottlebrush can reach sizes of 20-30 ft in height and 15 ft wide
Weeping Bottlebrush Growth Habit:
- long hanging branches turn done and hang toward the ground giving the tree a cascading
appearance similar to a willow tree
Weeping Bottlebrush Growth Rate:
- extremely fast growth rate
Weeping Bottlebrush Bloom:
- Weeping bottlebrush callistemon veminalis will bloom heavily in spring and early summer and
intermittingly throughout the year. Slender red blooms are 4 to 8 inches in length and resemble a baby's bottle
brush giving the plant its common name
River Birch Water Requirements:
- not drought tolerant River Birch trees will drop leaves in hot dry weather if no
supplemental irrigation is provided
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Weeping Bottlebrush callistemon veminalis are both butterfly and hummingbird attracting in
the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Best Uses For Weeping Bottlebrush in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
- Weeping bottlebrush will make a nice ornamental or small scale tree where
supplemental irrigation can be provided or in areas where soil is consistently moist
Care of Weeping Bottlebrush in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St Augustine
- water every day during the establishment period. See watering your newly planted trees for
more information. Supplimental irrigation will be needed after the establishment period once the tree has
resumed normal growth on a weekly basis if planted in dry or well draining soils.
- prune dead or weakened branches each summer as needed for maximum curb appeal, thin branches
out for best appearance and to keep the tree from becoming to top heavy
- staking may be required if training a young tree as it grows
- provide a 1 ft diameter circle of mulched area where grass is kept from growing for each
inch of caliper (or diameter) of trunk measured 4 inches from the ground level.
- fertilize each spring with a mixture of milorganite and a slow real ease poly coated plant
food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food, sprinkling the fertilizer around the mulch
circle underneath the foliage of the tree
Don't want to chase down those products? Simply
click the photos below, purchase through Amazon from this link and have them delivered to your door! Not only do
you skip the trip to the store but your supporting me in my efforts to provide you with all the information you
need to keep your North Florida garden growing at its best! Thanks for considering your purchase here, I
appreciate the help!
Why Use 'Osmocote Plus' fertilizer for
the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
It's poly coated slow release granules allow you to fertilize without the excess waste going
down into our water ways that you get when you fertilize with other water soluble fertilizers, Osmocote special
poly coated fertilizer beeds are heat release and slowly swell up and burst over time, they don't dilute every
time we get a rain or your sprinkler system comes on!!!
This slow release system makes it virtually impossible to damage your plant by over
fertilizing. Its goof proof!
My favorite part about Osmocote Plus is there's no need to constantly re apply, not weekly,
not semi weekly, not even monthly! Osmocote Plus fertilizer will last 6 months in the garden, so apply in the
spring and again in late summer to keep your plants looking their best without the constant fuss.
- Osmocote plus multi purpose plant food is ever made available for amateur use
- Each granule contains 12 essential nutrients
- Everything your plant needs to thrive and the 6-month feeding pattern is controlled by the most
advanced technology in plant food
- One application feeds all season long up to 6 full months
- Works with virtually all plant varieties and in all soil conditions
Why Use 'Green Edge' fertilizer for North
Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens and landscapes?
You don't have to have been in Florida long to realize that there is
just sand everywhere! The water provided by rains and irrigation systems disappears quickly into Florida's sandy
Its especially important when planting new items into the landscape to
make sure that your new plants are getting enough water and the root system isn't drying out. Think of milorganite
as adding tiny sponges to the soil for the root system of your plants, they are soaking up and holding all that
rain and irrigation water and slowly releasing the water and nutrients to your plants root system.
Slow Release Fertilizer with 100% Organic Nitrogen
Does Not Burn Plants
Adds Organic Matter to Soil and Helps in Nutrient Recycling
Grows Your Plants with Less Water and is Environmentally Friendly
Use It For All Your Gardening Needs!
Weeping Bottlebrush Callistemon Veminalis UFIFAS Publication