Bottle Brush ' Slim '
( callistemon veminalis CVO1 Slim )
- Callistemon is native to Australia and this is an exciting new introduction
from 'Ozbreed' that I am incredibly happy to have! Just the thought of it makes me smile. How many times do
people fall in love with a bottlebrush tree and end up having to use something like a Podocarpus that while
still beautiful has no bloom or added interest because they have only a narrow space to plant and need the
height for privacy but cant have the width of a standard sized bottlebrush. This new selection is the perfect
answer! I can hardly wait for the plants to be up to size and ready to be installed in the landscape! Should be
ready to go sometime this summer of 2012!!! Limited quantity available.
Bottlebrush Slim Preferred Exposure:
- full sun to light shade
Bottlebrush Slim Foliage | Bark:
- Evergreen foliage is narrow and 3 inches in length, new growth comes out a coppery
red color and matures to a bright green
Bottlebrush Slim Soil Preference / Salt Tolerance:
- Bottlebrushes ( callistemon ) are the most tolerant of heat, cold, as well as a
wide range of soil conditions.
- drought tolerant once established, however bottlebrush will need consistent water
during the establishment period after planting
- bottlebrush are highly salt tolerant
BottleBrush Slim Size Variance:
- Now were getting to the good part....Bottlebrush slim when left to grow on its own
and left untrimmed EVER will only reach about 3 meters high (almost 10 ft) and 1.3 meters wide !!! And that's
with no attempt on your part to trim in to keep it slender! So when pruned on a yearly basis these plants are
being kept easily to a width of only 60 cm or only 2 ft wide !!! That's just unbeatable!
Bottlebrush Slim Growth Habit:
- Columnar upright habit with lush full growth
Slim Bottlebrush Growth Rate:
- extremely fast growth rate, makes an excellent privacy block or screen perfect for
tight spaces or smaller backyards and even in-between tightly spaced houses.
Bottlebrush Slim Bloom:
- Bright red elongated blooms resemble a baby bottle brush giving the plant its
common name. Bottlebrush will bloom, set buds and rebloom throughout the year.
Bottlebrush Slim Water Requirements:
- not drought tolerant River Birch trees will drop leaves in hot dry weather if no
supplemental irrigation is provided
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Attractive to both butterflies and hummingbirds in the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
Best Uses For Bottlebrush Slim:
- Bottlebrush is a great choice for a privacy screen or large hedge row to block out
unsightly sheds, garages or views. Pruned up and allowed to grow as a tree form, bottlebrush make and excellent
care free smaller scale ornamental tree. Drought tolerant once established but also will make a good choice for
consistently moist soils. Use bottlebrush Slim where additional width on a plant will interfere with walk space
or in tight areas including near patios, AC and pool equipment, tightly spaced houses etc.
Care of Bottlebrush Slim:
- Water every day during the establishment period, a bottlebrush tree allowed to dry
out during the establishment period runs a high risk of shock, leaves will turn a light tan color and if water
is re-applied consistently the leaves will drop and new leaves begin to form within a months time. DO NOT ignore
WATERING DAILY ON A NEW BOTTLEBRUSH PLANTING. See watering your newly planted trees for more information.
- They will need good water during the establishment period.
- Provide a 1 ft diameter circle of mulched area where grass is kept from growing
for each inch of caliper (or diameter) of trunk measured 4 inches from the ground level.
- Fertilize each spring and summer with a heaping shovel full of well aged compost
or a mixture of milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general
purpose plant food, sprinkling the fertilizer around the mulch circle underneath the foliage of the tree or
Don't want to chase down those
products? Simply click the photos below, purchase through Amazon from this link and have them
delivered to your door! Not only do you skip the trip to the store but your supporting me in my efforts to
provide you with all the information you need to keep your North Florida garden growing at its best! Thanks for
considering your purchase here, I appreciate the help!
Why Use 'Osmocote Plus' fertilizer for
the North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area landscape?
It's poly coated slow release granules allow you to fertilize without the
excess waste going down into our water ways that you get when you fertilize with other water soluble
fertilizers, Osmocote special poly coated fertilizer beeds are heat release and slowly swell up and burst over
time, they don't dilute every time we get a rain or your sprinkler system comes on!!!
This slow release system makes it virtually impossible to damage your plant
by over fertilizing. Its goof proof!
My favorite part about Osmocote Plus is there's no need to constantly re
apply, not weekly, not semi weekly, not even monthly! Osmocote Plus fertilizer will last 6 months in the garden,
so apply in the spring and again in late summer to keep your plants looking their best without the constant
- Osmocote plus multi purpose plant food is ever made available for amateur
- Each granule contains 12 essential nutrients
- Everything your plant needs to thrive and the 6-month feeding pattern is controlled by the
most advanced technology in plant food
- One application feeds all season long up to 6 full months
- Works with virtually all plant varieties and in all soil
Why Use 'Green Edge' fertilizer for
North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens and landscapes?
You don't have to have been in Florida long to realize that
there is just sand everywhere! The water provided by rains and irrigation systems disappears quickly into Florida's
Its especially important when planting new items into the
landscape to make sure that your new plants are getting enough water and the root system isn't drying out. Think of
milorganite as adding tiny sponges to the soil for the root system of your plants, they are soaking up and holding
all that rain and irrigation water and slowly releasing the water and nutrients to your plants root
Slow Release Fertilizer with 100% Organic Nitrogen
Does Not Burn Plants
Adds Organic Matter to Soil and Helps in Nutrient Recycling
Grows Your Plants with Less Water and is Environmentally Friendly
Use It For All Your Gardening Needs!
Want to see more rare and unusual plants and new
S & J Tree Farm and Nursery? Check out these great new
Bottlebrush Dwarf Macarthur
Brunfelsia Americana Lady of the
Shrimp Plant Justicia Brandegeana Fruit
More information on Bottlebrush Slim for the
North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area