S & J Nursery's Angelonia
Serena Series Mix / Summer Snapdragon
( Angelonia angustifolia ' Serena ' )
Angelonia Serena Mix / Summer Snapdragon Origins:
- Angelonia is native to Mexico.
- Most often planted as an annual in cooler regions of the USA, here in North Florida / Jacksonville / St.
Augustine area it makes a wonderfully reliable semi evergreen to herbaceous perennial planting.( may be winter
dormant depending on planting location and winter season) If planted in the colder sections of Zone 8A you can
expect your Angelonia plants to die back to ground level and regrow quickly when fertilized and trimmed in the
spring to be back up and blooming in late spring.
- Angelonia Serena Mix is a selection of Angelonia Angustifolia that can easily be grown from seeds !This
compact low maintenance plant is perfect for Florida's hot summers and keeps on blooming from late spring right
until the first frost!
Angelonia Serena Mix Preferred Exposure:
- Angelonia angustifolia will need a full sun or partial sun | partial
shade exposures in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area gardens landscape.
Angelonia Serena / Summer Snapdragon Foliage:
-Delicate, thin short and strappy foliage is a beautiful deep green color and
is said to have a fruity fragrance.
- Foliage may remain evergreen in zones 8b - 11 depending on whether it is planted
in a frost free area of the landscape. If the plant looses its foliage in the winter in your garden don't toss
the roots to these plants as they regrow quickly in the following spring season when trimmed and
Angelonia Serena Mix Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Angelonia Serena Mix is not particular about the components of the
soil , and will tolerate both well draining sandy soils and moist conditions.
- Unknown Salt tolerance. Have it at the beach? Let us know how it did!
Angelonia Serena Mix Size Variance:
- Angelonia angustifolia Serena is a slightly more compact selection,
growing in most gardens only 10-12 inches high although here in the deep South these plants may tend to grow
another 4-6 inches high! Angelonia Serena Mix will grow 12-14 inches wide.
- Ideal for lower growing and front of the border plantings or even
mixed flowering containers.
Angelonia Serena / Summer Snapdragon Growth Habit:
- Semi evergreen to herbaceous perennial plant forms an attractive mostly upright
mound of foliage, about as tall as it is wide, particularly attractive when planted in masses where the delicate
but showy flowers will stand out at a distance.
Angelonia Serena Mix Growth Rate:
- Fast growing Angelonia angustifolia can be expected to reach its full height
in its first season of being planted in the Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
Angelonia Serena Mix Blooms:
- Serena Mix comes in white, light pink, and deep lavender blue color
selections and has a soft fruity scent to the foliage and flowers.
- Beautiful and delicate bell shaped blooms about 3/4 of an inch wide are
reminiscent of snapdragons, clustering around tall spikes starting just at the tips of the foliage. Blooms open
gradually giving a long lasting color display.
- Blooms open gradually giving a long lasting color display. But the best part
about Angelonia is you don't have to remove spent blooms, the plant just sends up another blooming stalk to
replace the old one!
- Angelonia Serena Mix blossoms make excellent long lasting cut flowers!
- In the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine are landscapes plants
may benefit from a summer pruning, just trim back both the blooms and foliage in mid summer and watch them
regrow twice as nice as before and reblooming in as little as a weeks time!
Angelonia Serena / Summer Snapdragon Water Requirements:
- Although fairly drought tolerant. plants perform best when supplemental
irrigation is supplied, particularly in the first few weeks after planting.
- Regular water is necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after
being planted in the ground from a nursery container.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- S & J Nursery's Angelonia Angustifolia Serena Mix will attract
much needed bees to your North Florida gardens landscape!
Best Uses For Angelonia Angustifolia Serena Mix in the North Florida | Jacksonville
| St. Augustine area garden:
- Easy maintenance blooming plant for perennial beds and flower borders.
- Great selection for a mixed container planting.
- Plant in masses for a blooms display that cant be missed!
- Angelonia makes a great companion plant for other perennials in the garden
and adds a strong vertical element when in bloom.
- Use as a cut flower!
- Deer resistant flowering selection!
- Apple scented foliage.
Care of Angelonia Serena in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area landscape:
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container, once plants have established themselves into the landscape, you can begin to taper watering
back to just a semi weekly application if local rainfall levels are low.
- Trim Foliage and leave roots in place for next years growth.
- Trim back foliage and blooms in mid summer in hot humid climates for best results,
fertilize when trimming and the plant will be back again and blooming in no time!
- Fertilize each spring, and again when trimming in late summer with a handful of
garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite and a slow release poly coated plant
food such as
Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food
Click here for
more information on Angelonia Serena Mix from Parks Seed
Like Angelonia Angustifolia? Check out these other great selections of Angelonia at
North Florida's S & J Nursery
Angelonia Angel Mist Series